Do You REALLY Have To Charge The Battery 24 Hrs Before First Usage?

CHRISOF03

Reaction score
I finally got my phone today and there was a note in the info that came from wirefly with it that said charge both devices (I also got the Blackberry Storm2 for my girl) for TWENTY FOUR HOURS... Is this actually NECESSARY? And even if it's not, will it further optimize the battery life as opposed to just letting it charge until it says it's fully charge?

Also, should I cycle (let them fully charge, then use them until they die) the batteries in my Droid and Storm2? And, if so, how many cycles should I run?

Thank you for your help in advance!!!

Chris

rusray

Reaction score
No, I think this is total ridiculous nonsense. From what I've read, you just charge it when you need it, and it's better to keep it topped off in power rather than letting it run totally dead. Letting it run totally dead can be bad for it.

I didn't charge my battery for 24 hours, and I get results comparable to other users on this site that has.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I didn't charge mine for 24 hours right away. I was too excited to mess with it and began tinkering as soon as I got home. Once it got down pretty low, i charged it overnight and that was that. As for cycling the battery, I don't know if there's any real evidence that today's advanced batteries really need/benefit from it, although it gets debated here A LOT.... that said, I try to do it at least a few times a week (when convenient). Call me superstitious :D

RLJSlick

Reaction score
Hell no I didn't I couldn't wait that long, I plugged it in before dinner and was playing with it right after dinner, 20 min flat! LOL

Sodner

Reaction score
:icon_ nono: Now you've gone and done it. Some say yes, some say no. Let the arguments begin.

Do a seach, this was discussed at length at least once that I remember.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I don't think charging methods need to be the same as they were years ago. The newer Lithium ION batteries are much more hardy/stable than the old NiCads that did indeed a good initial charge.

On top of that with these smart phones, if they are plugged in they are only trickling power to the battery if it needs it, making battery life even better.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has been discussed a few times in length. Most people didn't really have a definitive answer as to why they put that on there, but most surmise it has to do with sometimes the batteries might be lower then others when shipped. The droid phone only takes 2-3 hours max wall charging to be fully charged. Once the phone says it's fully charged, it's done. It will cut off charging to the battery and run off the AC power that it gets from your charging line. So once it hits 100%, it's done. You can leave it on there for 72 hours, and it will still have the same effect of leaving it on there for the regular 2-3 hours max it takes to charge it to 100%.