Do I have to unroot and relock to call tech support?

amajamar

Reaction score
I just got my Gnex at Costco yesterday and went right home and unlocked/rooted. Took the phone to work today and nothing but problems. The phone won't hold 4G even though my Tab 10.1 holds two bars all day without a glitch. The phone goes in and out of 4G-3G and then drops to zero signal for a minute or so before it picks up any signal at all. It dropped all my calls, and my trusty old OG Droid never dropped one here at work.

So, should I call Verizon Tech support? Is there anything to be gained or should I just exchange the phone? Should I relock the phone before calling? Will they know its unlocked and rooted by asking any questions or if they send the phone programming?

Just want to know how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!

Verro84

Reaction score
As long as it's just rooted with stock your fine! But if it's got a rom on it and they ask you what firmware or something like that then they might be able to tell

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What Verro said. As long as you're on stock rom there is no way for them to tell you're rooted or not if they're just asking for firmware.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I'd exchange it for another one. I had the same issue as you. Ever since I got a different Nexus, everything has been perfect. Best phone I ever bought. You would absolutely have to relock and unroot the phone in that case though. It seems as if most employees wouldn't even realize a phone is rooted anyways, but you can never be too careful!

OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
I'd exchange it for another one. I had the same issue as you. Ever since I got a different Nexus, everything has been perfect. Best phone I ever bought. You would absolutely have to relock and unroot the phone in that case though. It seems as if most employees wouldn't even realize a phone is rooted anyways, but you can never be too careful!

So, maybe I got a bad one. (My luck) I will call Tech support and see if I can make the exchange with the Verizon store instead of Costco. Maybe Costco got a bad batch or something.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd try flashing the leaked radios and see if that fixes your problem. If you've already done so, then yeah...I'd go and see if Verizon will replace it.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
So, maybe I got a bad one. (My luck) I will call Tech support and see if I can make the exchange with the Verizon store instead of Costco. Maybe Costco got a bad batch or something.

I bought mine from Best Buy, exchanged it at Verizon without calling Tech Support or anything. Just walked right in and exchanged it!