dlna from pc to droid

emprize

Reaction score
currently i host a dlna server at my pc by using tvercity, does droid/milestone has any apps that i can connect to my home dlna server through 3G network?

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I've been looking for a similar solution that would be more ideal.

You can access some of your content through the web remote feature (enable this in tversity, set a username/password, and open the appropriate firewall port)

I can play my music this way:

Access my remote web URL in skyfire
- Set page rendering to "Desktop" and leave setting on page as "Windows Media Player".
- Navigate to what you want to play
- Popup will say "view or download", choose View and the track plays.

Overall not a great solution though. And with Tversity you can generate RSS feeds for any of your content, so it would be awesome to have an app that can simply use those. Hell, the PSP can do that... it works great. I have used my PSP to listen to Sirius through Tversity.

I was trying to get Sirius streaming working on the Droid... that app is out now, but still no Howard Stern channels. Can't get that working at all on Droid because there's no solution to streaming ASX/ASF.

OP
E

emprize

Reaction score
thx for yr solution, how about the vlc? if i use vlc to stream at my pc through rtps, what app should i use in my droid to play the rtsp?

Archste

Reaction score
There seems to be alot of DLNA solutions out there for the Droid, Twonky, AndroMote, etc. Just search the market for DLNA and a half a dozen will come up. Twonky and AndroMote worked the best for me.

However, I am looking to complicate the issue slightly. I want to play music from my PC or my Droid acting as the server, on my home stereo through my DLNA connection to my PS3 (as a client or renderer) which I can can no problem. The twist is I want to be able to to select the songs using my Droid as the remote. AndroMote does this to my PC, I can select the music on my Droid and have it play on my PC but I want to be able to do this on my PS3 as it is the only thing connected to my Stereo. Andromote doesn't see or have the option to select my PS3 as the Renderer.

Any ideas??

SubSonic is the only thing I have found that works well through the 3G network. I can access any music on my PC from Droid anywhere. Works good, just wish video and pics would work through it.

OP
E

emprize

Reaction score
There seems to be alot of DLNA solutions out there for the Droid, Twonky, AndroMote, etc. Just search the market for DLNA and a half a dozen will come up. Twonky and AndroMote worked the best for me.

However, I am looking to complicate the issue slightly. I want to play music from my PC or my Droid acting as the server, on my home stereo through my DLNA connection to my PS3 (as a client or renderer) which I can can no problem. The twist is I want to be able to to select the songs using my Droid as the remote. AndroMote does this to my PC, I can select the music on my Droid and have it play on my PC but I want to be able to do this on my PS3 as it is the only thing connected to my Stereo. Andromote doesn't see or have the option to select my PS3 as the Renderer.

Any ideas??

SubSonic is the only thing I have found that works well through the 3G network. I can access any music on my PC from Droid anywhere. Works good, just wish video and pics would work through it.
Twonky is from droid to pc only, right? i want the other way, and about the andromote, can it work on 3g? or only with internal wifi network?
about the tversity, why dont u use the dlna so u can select song from yr ps3?

Archste

Reaction score
Twonky is an app for your droid that makes your phone a music server based on DLNA. Which then allows your PC, PS3, and other DLNA client capable devices of playing the music. AndroMote is a little more powerful as you can select which device on your network is the server (music supplier) and which one is the renderer (client/player) and then use your droid to control what music is playing and volume, basically turning your phone into a wifi remote control. Works great it just works on a limited amount of devices right now and PS3 is not on of them, which is my problem. Plus you can only use AndroMote and Twonky on a LAN.

It sounds like you want to access your tunes from anywhere in the world using your 3g connection, which is the internet, correct?
In this case you really don't need a DLNA anything. You just need create a path from your phone to you PC which is really pretty easy considering your droid is really more like a computer then a phone.
I have done this two ways, first using tversity and secondly using Subsonic. Subsonic has a way better interface is quicker and is the way to go IF you just want to deal with music. If you want pics or vids then you have to use tversity and a web browser on your phone and it really is not a good interface and you will probably not like to the point where you don't use it.
The only thing is you may have to setup your home network to do port forwarding, sub sonic trys to do this itself, mine didn't but you maybe lucky. Plus your public IP address that your ISP assigns you is most likely a dynamic one and can change any time, Static ones cost more. So you won't be able to get to your PC unless you know the IP address. Solution here is to use a DNS client which basically keeps track of your public IP address at home and gives it a name like Google instead of 162.142.14.5. okay that was an example. That way on subsonic or tversity you just enter in the name instead of the IP address.
Google subsonic, read about it. I believe it is on the market and google DNS client. I have used DynDNS and it works great and it is free for at least the level you will need it.
Heads up, I did all this as well. Then I realized, I can put lots of music on my sd card on my phone 16G or 32G's is a lot of music. Now I just do this and scraped the tversity or subsonic. I do keep it alive though, but just for the coolness factor to show people that I can do it.

My problem is that most DLNA devices pull music off a server, I want to push music from a server and use my phone to control it. I have emailed AndroMote asking them to make it work with PS3 as it currently doesn't.

OP
E

emprize

Reaction score
um.....twonky seems good, but im using windows, twonky just for unix base?
yea i want connect using 3g from my phone, now i try use vlc, via rtsp connect from my milestone, but fail..... any suggestion?