DIY Portable Charger

st3V3

Reaction score
(Not sure if there is a DIY Section, Mods please move if so)

I kill my battery very quick everyday. Mostly because I do around 1,000-3,000 texts a month (Girlfriend goes to school 4 hours away). I don't feel like paying $30 for some 'Energizer Charger' and have seen many homemade chargers. Has anyone made one for their Droid?

My design so far:
- 9v Battery
- 5v Regulator
- Altoids Tin
- Simple Switch
- LED w/ Resistor

So idk, I am afraid of a power surge or other thing that could fry my phone. I am assuming 5v is the charging level since that is what a USB is pushing. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

dietche

Reaction score
Check out Make Online, Hack A Day, and LifeHacker websites. Plenty of information there about
building various chargers, especially Altoids tins mods. Dozens of great designs out there for you,
all ready to go, all considerations and concerns already dealt with.

Hell, I've seen even smaller designs than Altoids tins too, with better battery life than what a 9v
can get you. Some of the new, ultra-high mah AAA and AA batteries can be made into smaller
containers and offer *much* better performance and juice.

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
Yeah I actually use Instructables.com and found several on there. Just wasn't sure if these still worked alright on the Droid, I know when I try to charge my phone from my computer from dead it doesn't actually charge the battery.

dietche

Reaction score
Yeah I actually use Instructables.com and found several on there. Just wasn't sure if these still worked alright on the Droid, I know when I try to charge my phone from my computer from dead it doesn't actually charge the battery.

errrmmmmm.... that is a whole different problem.

You might want to have a technician from your carrier examine the internal
charging circuitry and the battery itself for any defects.

Seriously. Lithium is nothing nice when angered.

superglen99

Reaction score
why not carry the charger with you? that's what I do and its simple and free and requires no weird DIY project

deputc26

Reaction score
(Not sure if there is a DIY Section, Mods please move if so)

I kill my battery very quick everyday. Mostly because I do around 1,000-3,000 texts a month (Girlfriend goes to school 4 hours away). I don't feel like paying $30 for some 'Energizer Charger' and have seen many homemade chargers. Has anyone made one for their Droid?

My design so far:
- 9v Battery
- 5v Regulator
- Altoids Tin
- Simple Switch
- LED w/ Resistor

So idk, I am afraid of a power surge or other thing that could fry my phone. I am assuming 5v is the charging level since that is what a USB is pushing. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

I like your design, I think I'm going to try it. I bought the energizer charger on ebay for $15 and it sucks because it only works with expensive energizer lithium AA bats.

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score

errrmmmmm.... that is a whole different problem.

You might want to have a technician from your carrier examine the internal
charging circuitry and the battery itself for any defects.

Seriously. Lithium is nothing nice when angered.

Idk, I never saw much of an increase in power, maybe 1% every half an hour. Doesn't really matter becuase the phone is being replaced under manufacturer warranty for another technical issue I was having.

why not carry the charger with you? that's what I do and its simple and free and requires no weird DIY project

I do actually, but when I am in machine shop its hard to charge it in there. And I am an outdoorsman, last I checked not a lot of power outlets in the woods, haha.

I like your design, I think I'm going to try it. I bought the energizer charger on ebay for $15 and it sucks because it only works with expensive energizer lithium AA bats.

Yeah they just look...not very efficient.

Xerozix

Reaction score
NO.

do NOT attempt this, without having someone go over your circuit.

If you accidentally mess up with the circuit, you MAY anger the Lithium and cause a pocket fire.

Also, the Droid needs to have reference voltages on it's lines to initiate the charge.

Figure out those reference voltages, design a PCB, have it approved, put it into a blob of epoxy, and hope for the best.

wiets99

Reaction score
Charging voltage

I intend to make a DIY charger for my xperia x8, so I make a 4-series-NiMH summing up 5,8V max in zero load. We know that USB voltage recommended is 5V.
SO, if I connect to the DIY charger, say 1V higher than 5V, is it safe?
Does X8 have built-in voltage regulator that tolerates fluctuating input voltage?
Thanks