Disable Volume Button?

systemshark

Reaction score
I'm not accidently hitting it... a few weeks ago I noticed I was missing calls and have been unable to listen to any media. For some strange reason the phone automatically forces the volume down. The "ringer volume" screen is perpretually visable on the screen blocking my view and draining the battery faster than it normally does (which is too fast anyway).

The apps out there, volume locker ect.. don't fix the problem because they don't LOCK it they just automatically try to force it up again....which just gets negated instantlly by whatever bug is happening.

This is a recent occurance..maybe the last month or so at the most. I tried a hard reset this morning and still no luck.

All the other posts i've read don't seem to be describing my exact problem so I don't know if this is unique to me or what...

Anyway I'm up for some suggestions if anyone has it. If I could just disable the volume adjusting peroid and leave it to some different software that would be great. Again... i'm not touching the buttons - it sits flat on my desk and does it with no provocation.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Did this just start recently? Are there some apps you can uninstall to see if the issue goes away? If the phone isn't stock try restoring a previous version you had. If it is stock does this happen often enough that you can reproduce it at will? ie; within 15 minutes it will auto-adjust? If so I'd bring the phone into a store to see what Verizon will do. It does sound software related so a system reset would probably fix this as it is not normal behavior.

OP
S

systemshark

Reaction score
yea as I said in the OP a hard restet did not help. so there are no other apps on my phone now after this morning.

it happens all the time...i wish it only happened every 15 mins.. the only way to stop it is to quickly put the ringer volume up then press the power button to lock the phone. -- but obviously that isn't the solution, as soon as I unlock to answer a call, or use the phone for anything at all.. the volume automatically forces down to mute. during a phone call it goes all the way down to just above mute.

I guess i'll have to take it in... I wanted to avoid that because verizon retail store people are teribad =( was hoping someone had a similar experience or would know of a fix. I've had the phone for 7-8months now and only now is it giving problems. Was there a patch or something that went in place the last month or so? I have no idea...

OP
S

systemshark

Reaction score
quick bump

Sorry to bump;

I can't be the only one with this problem... i've read some other similar posts with people trying to disable the volume button...the software option seems to work for them but it obviously dosn't for me.

Is there a way to turn off that control in any setup/configuation or even command line system ways? If I could find a schematic of the insides it might even be an option to bust it open and try to kill it that way - I have some friends who are EE's that are more than qualified to do the work but I don't want to just give it to them with no map...

Any other ideas out there ? Going to the store is still an option too..i just wanna avoid that for whatever cost / time / hassel that would be.

Taegost

Reaction score
It actually sounds to me like a problem with the volume rocker itself, that it's perpetually stuck in the volume down position... Either due to something getting wedged in there, or the button itself failing.
If that's the case, VZ is the only way to go, trying to fix it yourself will void the warranty without a guarantee that's the problem.

Shinken

Reaction score
Problem is probably poor placement of ringer button

I periodically miss phone calls because the ringer volume was turned down to zero. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the ringer volume button placement, because it is VERY EASY to touch the ringer volume button when putting the Droid into the (Motorola) belt clip.

As a result, I try to remember to touch the ON/OFF button at the top of the Droid before putting it into my belt clip, which disables the volume button. It works, but I shouldn't have to do this.

I can think of a few ways around this, but believe that the best solution would be to have a "confirm" option displayed on the touchpad whenever the ringer volume button is touched. Once confirmed, the ringer volume button would be activated until the Droid goes on standby in another minute or two. This should only be for adjusting the ringer. If in the middle of a phone call, a "confirm" request would be a nuisance. The programming for this should be pretty simple.

klinetime

Reaction score
Having same problem

I'm having the same problem with both the call ringer volume and the in call volume setting...as soon as I increase either it automatically goes all the way down to silent (or lowest setting for the in call volume). Did you have any luck in fixing this?

Shinken

Reaction score
I found a solution that works - at least for me

I downloaded the free RingGuard app from the Android Market and it solved my problem. Whenever I (accidentally or on purpose) press the volume rocker button and am not in a phone call, a window pops up asking for confirmation, with YES and NO buttons. This has solved my problem, which I am pretty sure was due to accidentally depressing the volume rocker switch when removing the Droid from my belt clip.

However, other people may have the same problem for other reasons, so I can't say for sure that it will work for everyone. But try it and see what happens.

S

StriderKaijin

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a way to completely disable the volume keys, or rocker in my case. As many have also done I manage and lock in volume parameters with an app, and I've found that occasionally I press up on the rocker when I'll getting the phone out of my pocket, and doing so refuses an incoming call.

I either need a way to change the behavior of the rocker during incoming calls or a way to disable it altogether.