Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
directv_logo-550x411.jpg

DirecTV is set to bring new mobile content options to their consumers as they have announced HBO Go and MAX Go, services that should bring you over 1800 titles worth of entertainment from movies to television shows. The service will first be launched for PC, but tucked away in the press release is a line confirming that the service will be going mobile sometime later this year.And – you guessed it – one of those mobile platforms will be Android. The press release mentions that users will be able to watch their favorite shows after it airs on television. The best part about it all? Totally free if you’re a subscriber. Read on for full press details.

Continue reading @ phandroid for full press release

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
awesome stuff indeed. Plus the IPad app is coming to the xoom also ...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Not sure how it'll work with DirectTV, but with Dish: you either need one of the higher-end receivers, or in my case I had to pick up the Sling Adapter for $100. It actually works BEAUTIFULLY on my Droid and now, Viewsonic gTablet. Of course wifi is better than 3G.

Or wait: I'm assuming this is a streaming model. As in "streaming from your own receiver." How interesting if it streams directly from DirectTV. That's not how it works, is it?

-Matt

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Not sure how it'll work with DirectTV, but with Dish: you either need one of the higher-end receivers, or in my case I had to pick up the Sling Adapter for $100. It actually works BEAUTIFULLY on my Droid and now, Viewsonic gTablet. Of course wifi is better than 3G.

Or wait: I'm assuming this is a streaming model. As in "streaming from your own receiver." How interesting if it streams directly from DirectTV. That's not how it works, is it?

-Matt

The current model just launched on Monday is going to HBO to GO website and sign in with you Directv Account. They then direct you to a pick a HBO user name and password.

With that said I assume it will be like Netflix for Apple products in that you use the user name and password to access the content.

So there is no stream from you current receivers or adapter needed. Dish Network doesnt offer the real HBO to Go from what I read. Directv is the 1st Satellite company.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks Dawg, I think I need to work on my reading skills! Probably what happens is I saw DirectTV, and just assumed it was their version of the Sling Adapter. Obviously the HBO to Go model is a more flexible option.

The funny thing about how it works with Dish--using your own receiver--is that (just like with the normal SlingBox) you actually control your home tuner remotely. Which means it's possible that someone is sitting on the couch, and then you log in and the couch-person watches as the channel mysteriously changes! I've done it to my wife (oops, unintended meaning there) on a few occasions. :)

The DirectTV version looks a little safer.

-Matt