Different notification sounds for different notifications?

tadowguy

Reaction score
Can I customize the notification sounds such that I can get one sound for an email and another (preferably none) for when I connect to my PC? I'd also like one for text messages. I looked in the FAQs but didnt see anything.

FootballRef

Reaction score
I believe each app will let you set your own notifications in the setting section for each.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can I customize the notification sounds such that I can get one sound for an email and another (preferably none) for when I connect to my PC? I'd also like one for text messages. I looked in the FAQs but didnt see anything.

Yes, you can. First, what are you using for email? I have two Exchange accounts and one from Hotmail. (Not sure about GMail, as I don't use it, but if that's what you have, we can find someone that knows.) To have a separate ringtone for each, I went into the native EMail icon (comes stock on the Droid) and when you touch any one of the accounts, once inside, go to Menu > Account settings > Select ringtone. I have a different ringtone for each account, so I know which I can ignore. :D

To set the notification tone for text messages, go to Menu > Settings > Sounds & display, assuming you're using the native app. That lets you set a ringtone for the phone and for notifications. If you want different notifications for different text contacts, I've heard that Handcent (free app in the Market) can accomplish this. Hope that helps you out.

OP
T

tadowguy

Reaction score
Anne,

Thanks thats great! I can set my Outlook (work) email to something from office space and then ignore it. What about the "you just connected to your PC" sound? That one is the most annoying. I don't check the phone every 2 minutes for an email so a notification helps, but "HEY YOU JUST CONNECTED TO YOUR PC SO HERE'S SOME SOUND" is pretty useless!

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Anne,

Thanks thats great! I can set my Outlook (work) email to something from office space and then ignore it. What about the "you just connected to your PC" sound? That one is the most annoying. I don't check the phone every 2 minutes for an email so a notification helps, but "HEY YOU JUST CONNECTED TO YOUR PC SO HERE'S SOME SOUND" is pretty useless!

OK, so let's be clear here - are we talking about when you connect your Droid to your PC via USB cable (aka mounting the Droid)?

Droids

Reaction score
Mounting the sd card uses whatever default notification sound you use. You can set the default to none, while setting email and sms to individual sounds, and then you shouldn't hear anything when connecting to the PC. At least I think that would work.

OP
T

tadowguy

Reaction score
Anne: Yep!

Droids: That will be perfect!

I know it's a nit, but a sound notification should be for when the user is not looking at the phone and related to something that they cannot see. Unless I plug in my droid in my sleep, I don't need a sound effect then.

Thanks again guys!