different keyboards in landscape and portrait

250 or point 65

Reaction score
I use the landscape mode 99% of the time, if I'm walking and carrying something, I'd like to use swipe in the portrait mode.

I know how to switch back and forth from the Android keyboard to Swype, but is there anything out there that would automatically uses the Android keyboard for landscape and Swype for portrait? I would probably use the portrait mode more often if I didn't have to switch it manually.

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
I use the landscape mode 99% of the time, if I'm walking and carrying something, I'd like to use swipe in the portrait mode.

I know how to switch back and forth from the Android keyboard to Swype, but is there anything out there that would automatically uses the Android keyboard for landscape and Swype for portrait? I would probably use the portrait mode more often if I didn't have to switch it manually.

Great question and I would love if it could be set up this way. I too am waiting for an answer.

Jameshpatterson

Reaction score
I've been looking into this since last christmas with no real resolution. We may need to look to swype to make a way to disable swype in landscape. I know smart keyboard pro has different keyboards for portrait vs landscape. There has to be a way.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Dude, that would be awesome... I wonder if you posted this up on XDA if one of the guys would write an app for it. I would love to be able to do that.

OP

250 or point 65

Reaction score
I fear that I don't have the "thread cred" to post over there and just start asking for stuff. I came from a Sprint TP2 and used a lot of what those guys and PPCgeeks had to offer. I'm completely new to Android...but I'm rooted and wifi sharin'!

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
Last edited:

maverick31210

Reaction score
K, so I went over to XDA and found this:

Change Keyboard Automatically With Orientation, Using KeyboardManager [Root][Tutorial] | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Mods, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

Anyone care to give it a shot? I don't have the time right now. If no one does it, I'll do it later this evening.

If the website wasn't blocked at my job, I'd try it right now. LOL.

Just tried this and it works. Occasionally buggy and im pretty sure you have to go into the app and re-select your choices after a reboot, but very convenient in the big picture. Just follow the set up instructions and you shouldn't have any issues.