Developing a calculator-- what features do you want??

devosnw

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am developing a calculator app because I don't like the stock one.

My question is: what features would you guys like to see in a calculator app?

Let me know in your replies! I'd love to know!

cavallodispade

Reaction score
graph functions
take derivatives and integrals
tables
polar graphs
series
able to handle imaginary and complex numbers

thats basically stuff that other android calculators dont have

a good starting point would be to look at the capabilities of like a ti84 or something

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm in no way discouraging development here, but OP; have you tried RealCalc or Handycalc in the interim? I find both of those to be indespensible parts of my Droid software library, they are both free, and both KILL the stock calculator app. (and are BOTH present on my device)

cavallodispade

Reaction score
handycalc? hmm. never heard of that one. ill have to check it out. realcalc is really good though

but all graphing calculators ive tried just blow. arity is terrible, calculus tools is terrible (good for computing derivatives and integrals but its UI is garbage), graphlite sucks. if you want to give something new, make a graphing calculator that works/has a good UI

listenman20

Reaction score
Only feature I need is the ability to add money to my bank account.

OP
devosnw

devosnw

Reaction score
How important do yu guys think UI is? That was my main reason for wanting to make my own. I thought the stock android one sucked and was extremely unintuitive.

Do you guys care about skins?

How about accuracy? How many decimal places would you like it to be accurate to?

cavallodispade

Reaction score
How important do yu guys think UI is? That was my main reason for wanting to make my own. I thought the stock android one sucked and was extremely unintuitive.

How about accuracy? How many decimal places would you like it to be accurate to?

UI is the most important thing IMO. i have yet to see a graphing or calculus app with an even passable UI.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

While I don't care that much about skins, others might.

Maybe have a decimal place setting like with printing calculators. 2, 4 and Floating.

noo_too_droid

Reaction score
On my computer i have TI-83 flash debugger which opens up a fully functional ti-83. If you could do that with the 83 or 89 i think itd be great. i also second the request for indefenite integrals and derivatives. most of the time i dont have to solve for it at a point to getting the formulas would be very handy. and if you could somehow get it to allow other variables (just take them to be constants) calc 3 students would appreciate it alot!!

rjax

Reaction score
I'd like a calculator that runs in a semi-transparent mode so I can see through part of the app I had running before I started the calculator.

Maybe the calculator proper would take up 80% of the screen area with a perimeter around which you can see another app, and then give the user separate control over color and transparency of the calculator buttons and the text on the buttons, and separate control over color and transparency of the display.

The point of this implementation is that if I need to leave my web browser (or another app) for a quick calculation, the web browser (or another app) stays visible and is thus much less likely to be automatically killed by Android.

It would also let me input numbers from a web page without necessarily having to remember them, since I could see the web page at the same as I'm using the calculator. Maybe even make the calculator movable on the screen to uncover information that might be hidden by the calculator otherwise.