Dell Smartphones are on the way

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
dell_logo.jpeg

When Dell pulled the plug on its Venue and Venue Pro smartphones, reports began to circulate that the company was going to be exiting the smartphone market. Today, Dell spokeswoman Ellen Murphy told PCMag that it's simply "not true." Dell stopped manufacturing the Venue and Venue Pro because the mobile products had a short life cycle according to Murphy. The Venue Pro (Windows Phone) was originally released in late 2010, and the Android-powered Venue launched in 2011. Dell says that it plans to launch a number of new smartphones in a number of markets across the world, including the U.S, later this year. They did not, however, say how many models or what platforms the new smartphones would be running.

Anyone interested in a top tier Android powered Dell Smartphone?

Via: PC Mag

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would be. I have always had good luck with dell products .. i would like to see them make a windows 8 phone along with android .. but VZW people dont hold your breath i doubt we ever see them on our network .

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I purchased the Dell Axim (I believe it was called) way back in the early 2000s. The last time I saw it it was still rockin', or at least it charged and booted a year or so ago.

I'd give a Dell cellphone an honest look.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Dell's recent smart phones have all fallen short. The WP7 one was I think the only one worthwhile, but it was sold exclusively, and unlocked.

The android one was just horrendous.

skyshadow

Reaction score
Having worked on and repaired many of the "abominations" that they call desktops and laptops and dealt with their support numerous times with the outcome always being negative I would sooner buy an iPhone than an android device made by dell. I personally despise apple and their business practices but I would rather have a device that will work for at least a year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Dell and top-tier? Seriously?

It would be interesting if they'd take the custom PC model and applied it to smartphones. I'd spend the money to get THE smartphone I want and have it for 3-4 years or more. But my last experience with Dell made me swear to never order from them again.

And truth about their customer service. They gutted the consumer service several years ago (I hear the corporate service isn't much better) and pray you don't have to deal with them or have a warranty issue.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
Having owned both a Dell DJ Jukebox mp3 player and a Dell Axiom Windows Mobile PDA, I would be rather hesitant to purchase a Dell phone. I have serious doubts that Dell made either of those devices. The 16gig "Dell" Jukebox bore a striking resemblance to the 16gig Creative Sound Blaster Zen player available at the same time. HP's Windows Mobile PDA's likewise were "strangely" identical to Dell's Axiom line of PDA's.

Before I even considered purchasing a Dell phone, I'd want to know who actually manufactured it for Dell and slapped a Dell logo on it. :icon_evil:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Damn... I guess my 10 year old assumption and lack of experience with anything else made by the company was incorrect!

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I haven't had a Dell in sometime, but when I got my first desktop in 2001, service was awesome. Then at some point everything went to pot due to outsourcing.

And truth about their customer service. They gutted the consumer service several years ago (I hear the corporate service isn't much better) and pray you don't have to deal with them or have a warranty issue.

Mopdaddy

Reaction score
No thanks, Dell is a horrible company that cheats people. There computers were made different so you could not customize them unless you buy from Dell even then the upgrades they offer are garbage which makes you buy a new PC. This company does everything to make you a new computer that wont last you for a price that is 3x the amount if you made your own. I tell everyone never to get a Dell when they are looking for a new computer, I would rather make them a computer then have them deal with a company like that.

Last edited:

RockmanSolo

Reaction score
Any Dell I've ever had turned out to be trash. The equipment they use, how they're built, and their prices are all a joke. Also, as previously mentioned, forget trying to upgrade. They're intentionally built in a fashion that makes this almost impossible. Not to mention their heavy use of Intel parts *cringe*. I wouldn't even consider buying a mouse off of them let alone a smartphone.

BigZig

Reaction score
I echo the sediments of most people here. I had a dell laptop about 4 years ago the service was horible the product was horible i tell all family and friends looking for a CPU to stay far away from dell, and will never buy or recommend another dell product again.

huskur

Reaction score
Dell PC's still have the corporate market cornered with huge price breaks for quantity. Support now is farmed out to local organizations in your are that are "dell certified technicians". I have owned DELL computers and they are average. I know some people will disagree but I have found lately that HP is giving the best deals for your dollar and are ISO 9001 quality certified now as a company. Seems they have made huge strides in the PC business. I have 2 HP desktops and 2 HP laptops that have had zero issues. My household is Myself, my wife (currently a RN and Charge nurse in our ICU department in our local hospital and going to school for her masters to be a Nurse Practitioner) and 3 kids. We also own a Acer netbook, Asus Transformer, Ipad 2 (the wifes) and 2 Vizio tabs. All of our equipment is used everyday and I don't have time to repair and rebuild all the time. very very busy......that being said. I love our HP equipment. Some users will disagree I am sure. Like a buddy of mine says HP stands for "highly problematic" ---very untrue. (he is a Dell fan)