Deleting Apps???

alaskacobalt

Reaction score
Alright, so I may be the biggest retard in Droid history.. but how the hell do you delete an app??? I assumed that by holding down on the app and waiting for the trash can to appear and pulling it to the trash that would work... but nope... not even a little... My battery drains in like four hours even with all the battery savers off so I'm just deleting apps assuming that one of them is causing the problem.

Reaction score
Alright, so I may be the biggest retard in Droid history.. but how the hell do you delete an app??? I assumed that by holding down on the app and waiting for the trash can to appear and pulling it to the trash that would work... but nope... not even a little... My battery drains in like four hours even with all the battery savers off so I'm just deleting apps assuming that one of them is causing the problem.

First, before I tell you how to do that, might I suggest you do the following to improve your battery life:

• Let the battery drain 100% (meaning, let it power off itself). Then charge to Full power. I did that with both my batteries and they seemed to benefit from it.
  • Rather than uninstall apps, you might want to first check your widgets to ensure one isn't hogging the battery. Many that don't come with the phone themself tend to drain battery more than the Android/Moto "native" widgets.
  • Do you have Bluetooth, GPS, or WiFi on all the time, or a considerable amount of time? If so, try to disable them.
  • Change your Battery profile from Smart to Power Saver. Also, check your Screen brightness... if it's set to Auto, you may want to disable and move the slider down to a lower setting that is comfortable to view.
  • Do you have email set to "Push" or "Poll every X minutes?" Depending on that setting, Polling can drain the battery more than the Push setting will.
If all of the above fails to solve your battery issues, then you can start by stopping applications from running to see if that fixes it. To do so: Go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. See if there is anything there that you don't need running, stop the service and see if it was the culprit. Stay away from the ones with blue screens and a sprocket as they are most likely "system" services that need to run for the phone to work.

Finally, if you just want to remove a program, go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Find one that you don't need/want, click it and hit Uninstall. (Keep in mind some will not uninstall as they are part of the phone's OS.)

Good luck!

OP
A

alaskacobalt

Reaction score
Awesome! I think it was the police scanner app. I kept killing it but it would keep turning back on by itself. Pretty annoying. They definitely made uninstalling a program much more work than I would ever imagine.

Is there anyway to delete the preloaded crap? Like the Blockbuster one...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some apps can't be deleted unless you root your phone. Then you can start deleting all sorts of stuff...good and bad:)

Blockbuster you might be able to by displaying all apps, while in the manage apps section.

I also installed Quick Uninstaller. One press followed by a confirmation click and the app is gone.

REBinBxNYC

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this information. After MUCH MUCH frustration I received my two Droid 2's today. I downloaded an App that I believe was also subjecting me to all of these video ads that I was dreading having to contact Verizon again...Thank you Thank you Thank You! I hope this helps me get rid of these ads..ugh!