Deleted File From Gallery, Cannot Recover

cogito

Reaction score
Hi,

I accidentally deleted a video from my cousin's wedding, and I have been having a hard time trying to recover the file.

For starters, I pretty much immediately stopped writing to the SD card. Second, I mounted the SD card and have been using programs like PhotoRec, Recuva, Data Rescue trial scans, Handy Recovery, etc.

So, here's the status of my efforts. I can fairly easily find files that I deleted 'manually' from the SD card when it was mounted by my windows machine. However, while I can find the name of the video I would like to recover, it is listed as a 0 byte file by the software that detects it. Other videos from around the same time (that I deleted from the SD card myself) are recoverable. This file was deleted by the camera app (from the gallery), and does not appear to be.

I think that there must be some difference between how files are deleted when my PC accesses the SD card vs. how it is done by the phone itself. Any advice for how to recover the file/what the issue could be? I have a nagging suspicion that the file is there, and that I'm just not using the right software/scans.

OP
C

cogito

Reaction score
Bumping this up. Does anyone know the particulars of the Android filesystem/how file deletion is handled? Is there a better forum for me to ask about this?

Hnya

Reaction score
According to your description, it is possible that you're just not using the right software. However you can choose other data recovery software and have a try, it is likely useful for you to get your video back. EASEUS may be a good choice.

faris

Reaction score
So far so good using the clear cache/data solution. I will update if it happens again.

momsen

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
+8615288210290
only different between android and pc storage is android's storage is managed by a database, not just directly using storage rules like pc. so if you want to gat your data back under the condition what you have said, i suggest you use some software to help you out.

MOD note: Unauthorized link removed.

Last edited by a moderator: