Solved Deleted default font on Galaxy S5 - Any restore options?

pbdroid

Reaction score
Happy Holidays Everyone!

My contract was up, so I jumped the Verizon ship and sprung for a Sprint Galaxy S5. Needless to say I went crazy on the mods, I rooted with towel root, and downloaded Font Installer.

In the process of installing fonts, I did not backup my stock fonts (don't judge). :) Looks like one of them overwrote the default font Samsung was using, and a lot of my stuff was missing letters. In attempting to resolve the issue I deleted the fonts I'd just installed from the fonts folder using Root Explorer (or whichever flavor I have).

After doing that my keyboard stopped working and kept popping up with an error. I could barely use my phone. I was able to change to Swipe keyboard under the Language settings and that seems to have resolved the keyboard issue (although the stock keyboard is hosed). I also cannot access Display|Fonts|Font List. I keep getting a "Unfortunately, Settings has Stopped" message.

Is there a way to reinstall the default fonts to resolve the stock keyboard and Font List issues (and make me feel better about any lessons learned here)?

Please and thank you.

Paul

OP
P

pbdroid

Reaction score
Hey all,

Solved my own issue, hope this helps others.

I was able to find the stock S5 fonts on XDA by Googling Galaxy S5 stock fonts. Downloaded the ZIP and extracted them to a folder on my PC desktop, connected my phone and created a folder called Stock Fonts in my phones Download folder and copied them to my phone. Knowing which fonts I needed (Arial, Clocktopia, and Roboto-Regular helped). Using Root Browser I moved the fonts from my phone's Download folder to my phone's System|Fonts folder and changed permissions to match the others. Phone works like a champ again. Thanks for the views, I guess!! :)

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I had a similar issue happen on my S3 and had to flash my Nandroid backup to restore them. I remember it was a major pain....sorry I couldn't reply earlier but thanks for sharing your findings.
(I don't bother with 3rd party fonts anymore)

S5 tap'n