Delete Old Messages in Handcent SMS

bejackso

Reaction score
i can't find a way to delete all messages older than xx/xx/xxxx in handcent. i also can't find a way to cap all threads at xxx messages. i find it hard to believe handcent doesn't have a setting for this somewhere. any input guys? help would be appreciated, thanks

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know about the first part but i'm preaty sure handcent takes its thread count cues from the stock messaging. Change the setting there to have it apply to handcent.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
B

bejackso

Reaction score
i tried doing that, didn't work. i just find it crazy that handcent doesn't have a setting for this. this should be the very first item in the settings page.

decalex

Reaction score
Modifying SMS xml backup method

I've been messing around with this a lot and wanted to bounce an idea off you guys:

I know the messages database is located in:
data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

and as mentioned above, the same database is used whether using the native sms app or handcent.

To experiment, I've tried using an SMS backup tool called: SMS Backup & Restore (on the market).
This backs up all of your message to desired format (xml in my case). I thought I'd be able to backup to this xml file. Pull the xml backup to my computer, go through and trim out/purge the message I don't want, copy the newly modified xml backup to my phone, and restore this modified backup with the same SMS backup tool. It appeared that it worked (got it from 9500 sms to 3000), but upon my latest backup, it says that I've got over 12000 messages now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't necessarily want to purge messages as of a certain date-- I want to make it a little more selective and looking for the best method.