Decisions, decisions....

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Thanks everyone for the solid advice. One more question: If I do buy the X off eBay (to save my update for later) and was covered by the manufacture warranty, if something went wrong with the device would I have to go through Motorola, rather than bring it in to Verizon? Or would it be best to buy the X through Verizon under a one year contract...hmmm...

I called Verizon and they said that the insurance that I had on my Driod 1 automatically transfered to my X. I didnt have to do anything.

*oops, misread. I'm not sure about the warranty.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
My $0.02...

Reality check first...this forum is made up primarily of people who actually know and understand that "cell phones" can and do receive updates...the vast majority of cell phone owners though, do not, and really couldnt care less...

So, depending on what type of user you are, worrying about the device reaching EOL and not receiving updates may be a sticking point, or a moot point. Personally, I am in the boat with the rest of the "non caring"...I believe my Droid X is pretty damn awesome just the way it is...and I havent seen a phone released in the last 3 months, or rumored to be released in the next 6 months that offers anything of real substance as far as "improvements" go over my Droid X.

The only caveats I see in not getting a Droid X are as follows:

1) You like having a hardware keyboard - DX doesnt

2) You have small hands - The DX is 4.3" afterall

3) You live in a 4G coverage area now - Vast majority of the US does not at this time, nor will they by the end of 2011

4) You are 1 of those "must have the newest because its obviously better since it is newer" type of people(always wonder if the buy cars, tv`s and other random things with the same mentality?)

In the end, its all in what you want, need for your device to do, as well as how much you are willing to spend...good luck!:)

cece5702

Reaction score
I did talk with Verizon Rep on the phone and she said as of 3/31 the Droid X will reach EOL and they would not be getting anymore shipped from Motorola. They will only sell whats in stock in the stores. I'm not due for an early upgrade until April 28th. I will either check with Verizon to see whats in stock and do a one year contract or I will just wait for one of the newer phones coming out.
I'm directing this to all you satisfied Droid X owners. I hope you can give me some much needed input. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade and desperately want to ditch my crappy (old) feature phone. For my first ever smartphone, I'm having one heck of a time deciding.

After hearing all the glitches and with the newly released HTC Thunderbolt (poor battery life on 4G, yet bad signal strength while on 3G) I've ruled that phone out. My dilemma is as follows:

Should I get the Droid X (which is established and well known by now) even though it is a 3G phone, or wait until who knows when for the Bionic 4G? My mind tells me to use my upgrade for the DX, rather than wait for a new 4G phone and risk the chance of a tiered and higher priced data plan.

Even though the Droid X is a 3G, it's still a great device with fast enough data speed for an average internet user (browsing, emails, etc.) and should be adequate for a first time smartphone owner like myself, right? And if I choose the Droid X, and it soon reaches its EOL, I'd still get support from Verizon, right?

Thanks for your suggestions and input!!!

jtlucas

Reaction score
If you buy a phone off of ebay, how do you go about activating it correctly? I'm new to all of this and would like to get a DX in about 2 months. My upgrade isn't until 5/21. I really don't have to have the "latest and greatest" I just want to get my first smartphone.

If you're going to buy an x, I'd get it off of ebay. May cost you another <$50ish, but youll be able to upgrade again whenever you please(if something comes out & catches your attention).

With that said, I think youll love the x. Its a great phone, & an unbelievable phone coming from a feature phone :p

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hood

Reaction score
Motorola Droid X

I would go with the droid X. Everyone that I talked with really loves this phone. I am always slow to buy new release phones because it always seems that they have bugs that need to be worked out. Go with the established phone and don't chance it.

xier

Reaction score
I have had my X since the day they came out & I honestly don't care if there ever is another update for it.

I installed the leaked 2.2 update the day it became available & running that with LauncherPro+, Handcent, Poweramp, SlingMobile, Sirius radio, Jorte calendar, weather & toggle widjets etc etc etc I am 100% happy with this phone (this is my first phone I have ever been able to say that about).

My phone is 100% stable, fast as hell & runs for weeks at a time without rebooting. I don't remember it ever freezing up once & I use the hell out of it.

I certainly wouldn't waste the money on a t-bolt as other than 4G it is basically the same phone as the X (except with MUCH poorer battery life)

~John

How is your rear facing camera working out?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If you buy a phone off of ebay, how do you go about activating it correctly? I'm new to all of this and would like to get a DX in about 2 months. My upgrade isn't until 5/21. I really don't have to have the "latest and greatest" I just want to get my first smartphone.

If you're going to buy an x, I'd get it off of ebay. May cost you another <$50ish, but youll be able to upgrade again whenever you please(if something comes out & catches your attention).

With that said, I think youll love the x. Its a great phone, & an unbelievable phone coming from a feature phone :p

I activated mine right from the phone the day I got it. Had my Droid 1 right next to me and just shut it off when prompted. Easy stuff! You will like the X, very fast phone.

jtlucas

Reaction score
All the ones I've seen are requiring a new two year contract. Would that be my contract that is due up in May? How does it activate the new phone while keeping the current calling plan that I have?

I activated mine right from the phone the day I got it. Had my Droid 1 right next to me and just shut it off when prompted. Easy stuff! You will like the X, very fast phone.