Decent holdover until maybe November?

loki993

Reaction score
So I currently have a Blackberry Bold I don't want anymore. If I were to look for a phone that could hold me over until say about November or so to wait for all the released to shake out and for me to get another discount what would be a good choice?

I don't want to spend a whole ton of money on it
It would be nice if I could root and/or OC it maybe
It should be a decent phone, no garbage.

First thought was an OG droid, but maybe a little slow. Then maybe an X or D2 they seem to range anywhere from 250-300, a little high. don't know if they can be found cheaper. Don't know what else? Any of the sammys or HTCs decent? I would assume the sammy would have the be rooted as they don't seem to like to release updates.

Anything I should be looking at on the used market?

cpjr

Reaction score
If your looking for good, fun and fairly cheap....then best bet would be either the D1 or maybe an incredible. Next step up in price would be the DX or D2.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's already mid-April....I'd say getting a D1 that you can root and overclock will hold you for at least a few months until you're pushing it past it's limits. And the D1 is still good for a lot of people (rooted) who don't overly tax it with a bunch of apps and widgets (and heavily themed alternate launchers).

matt2783

Reaction score
If you look around you should be able to find a droid 2 for around $200. If you want a qwerty keyboard that's probably the way to go. I don't have much experience with the Incredible but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you look around you should be able to find a droid 2 for around $200. If you want a qwerty keyboard that's probably the way to go. I don't have much experience with the Incredible but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Hmm...just so happens that I have a D2 I'm trying to get rid of ;)

This thread has been Thunder struck!

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

I don't really need a physical keyboard. I like the one on my BB and I don't know if I like the landscape on of the Driod so It wast a big deal. Id be fine with a phone without one as whatever I ultimately end up with when I do upgrade probably will be touchscreen only. For a holdover it doesnt really matter either way to me.

matt2783

Reaction score
I'd probably recommended the Incredible then. Whatever you buy, though, make sure it has a clean ESN.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I'd probably recommended the Incredible then. Whatever you buy, though, make sure it has a clean ESN.

Yeah Im actually kinda fuzzy on how you check that. Becuase that is what worries me the most actually, id be more then a little annoyed if I paid a bunch of money for a phone I couldnt use. Just get it from the person thats selling it and call Verizon and have the run it or what? then trust the person that they gave you the right one.

matt2783

Reaction score

Yeah Im actually kinda fuzzy on how you check that. Becuase that is what worries me the most actually, id be more then a little annoyed if I paid a bunch of money for a phone I couldnt use. Just get it from the person thats selling it and call Verizon and have the run it or what? then trust the person that they gave you the right one.

As far as I'm aware, you have to contact the seller and get the MEID number and than contact Verizon, give them the info and they will look it up.

It's a pain I know, but it's worth the hassle to ensure you don't end up with a $200 paper weight.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

As far as I'm aware, you have to contact the seller and get the MEID number and than contact Verizon, give them the info and they will look it up.

It's a pain I know, but it's worth the hassle to ensure you don't end up with a $200 paper weight.

For sure. I dont think its a pain though. Definitly worth it.

shoot2scre

Reaction score
I actually do have a Droid 1 I'm looking to sell. I have an extra battery, the car dock and the multimedia dock. If you're interested. PM Me. I'm still using the phone currently, but I might buy a Thunderbolt this weekend.