[Deal Alert] Nexus 7 2013 Edition at Newegg for $193.99 Plus a $50 Mail-In Rebate

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus7-2013-edition-newegg-sale-mar-2014.png

Here's an extra smokin' hot deal on one of the best deals in Android tablets. Newegg has the 16GB 2013 Edition of the Nexus 7 for only $193.99, plus you also get a $50 mail-in Visa Gift Card rebate. This brings the total price to a ridiculous $143.99! That's not all, the 32GB version is also on a similar sale. You can get it for just $244.99 and get the same $50 mail-in gift card, making this a good deal at just $194.99.

Even if you don't like mail-in rebates (and who does), these deals are solid. To claim the $50 card, you will need to print out a rebate form, remove the universal product code from box, and then send it and a copy of the receipt using snail-mail. The sale will be available between now and March 12th. As a sidenote, these are refurbished models, in case that matters to you.

Here's a couple of source links below to nab yours:
Newegg - 16GB Google Nexus 7 2013 Edition
Newegg - 32GB Google Nexus 7 2013 Edition

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Such a horrible, horrible shame they didn't put an SD slot in this. Many users of tablets don't have data plans, meaning the storage for content (and isn't the main point of a tablet to consume content!?!) is that much more vital.

If I were making tablets, I'd put 16gigs internal for apps, cache and OS, and then two SD slots (which are now capable of 128gig cards). An SD slot can't cost much, and is obviously cheaper than internal memory (difference between 16 and 32 gigs of internal storage is approx. $8). Of course, I doubt Google would ever tweak Android to support dual SD cards.

This makes no sense to me. 99% of people use computers with wifi connections, and none of the OEM's are reducing storage because of the "cloud". Just the opposite - storage for computers is increasing, getting faster and cheaper.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Such a horrible, horrible shame they didn't put an SD slot in this. Many users of tablets don't have data plans, meaning the storage for content (and isn't the main point of a tablet to consume content!?!) is that much more vital.

I agree with your point, however it is not a big issue anymore with the introduction of MicroSD card readers for Android MicroUSB.

This is just one of many varieties: Mul Function Micro USB Host OTG Adapter Micro SD Card Reader for Android Phone | eBay This one gives you the best of many worlds, making it a direct swap from the phone to a desktop using the MicroSD Card as a MicroUSB/USB-A Thumb Drive.

The one that seems to have started it all was the Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andyfei/mini-microsd-reader-for-android-smartphones-and-ta

With these devices, anything Android with a MicroUSB port (essentially all of them), can be given direct access to a removable MicroSD card.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with your point, however it is not a big issue anymore with the introduction of MicroSD card readers for Android MicroUSB.

That's a fair point, but I don't want anything that protrudes like that. Those solutions are simply not particularly practical, nor convenient, for a device that is designed/intended for ultra portability.

For that matter, you can just use network sharing/media server over your wifi network, but that requires a little bit of technical know-how and, more critically, having to leave a computer always on or fire it up when you need to access the content.

All of the above defeats the primary purpose for these devices, IMO. A media device with limited storage for content...just moronic.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Totally agree. All part of Google's push to get you to store everything on their servers. It's the future they tell us!! And many of us buy into it. As soon as Google took away SD Card slots we should have stopped buying them. But no, we kept buying them as many of us reasoned that we don't need them anymore. Even though it was one of the first things we fell in love with on that old trusty Droid 1 when it first came out. We used to point at iPhone people and say "No storage? Really? That's crazy!"
"I'll store my music on Google's Servers!" "I'll only download the movies I want to watch on my flight!"
If we would have not bought into that, nt followed Google like drones...you know damn well that Google would have come out with the next Nexus and added back that memory card slot.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Totally agree. All part of Google's push to get you to store everything on their servers. It's the future they tell us!! And many of us buy into it. As soon as Google took away SD Card slots we should have stopped buying them. But no, we kept buying them as many of us reasoned that we don't need them anymore. Even though it was one of the first things we fell in love with on that old trusty Droid 1 when it first came out. We used to point at iPhone people and say "No storage? Really? That's crazy!"
"I'll store my music on Google's Servers!" "I'll only download the movies I want to watch on my flight!"
If we would have not bought into that, nt followed Google like drones...you know damn well that Google would have come out with the next Nexus and added back that memory card slot.
Yep, I completely agree. Yet we are all in the minority. WE know better. Other people just think this is how it is and that they will just make due. Things are looking up though. Within one month 3 really greats phones will have released WITH SD card slots. I know that I'll be voting with my money with either the Z2 or the new htc one(the S5 looks good, but it's looking a little big). Both look like GREAT phones. So hopefully tablets follow suit.