Dead Trigger Now Free Due to Rampant Piracy

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
deadtrigger.jpg

The popular Android game, Dead Trigger, has gone free to play. The game has dropped from the extremely affordable price tag of $0.99 to the even better price tag of free. The developer claimed the drop in price was due to massive piracy, even with the game costing only $0.99. Check out Madfinger Game's statement on the price drop below.

Regarding price drop. HERE is our statement. The main reason: piracy rate on Android devices, that was unbelievably high. At first we intend to make this game available for as many people as possible – that’s why it was for as little as buck. – It was much less than 8$ for SHADOWGUN but on the other hand we didn’t dare to provide it for free, since we hadn’t got XP with free-to-play format so far. – However, even for one buck, the piracy rate is soooo giant, that we finally decided to provide DEAD TRIGGER for free. Anyway – DEAD TRIGGER is not FREEMIUM, it always was and still remains FREE-TO-PLAY, that means, all players are able to play it without IAP [in-app purchase]! We stand up for this statement, because all members of our team are playing (and enjoying) DEAD TRIGGER without IAP.

It's unfortunate that the developers had to make this decision, especially since the game was only $0.99. If you enjoy an app, its worth paying the developer, that way they can continue to create content and new apps without adding in app purchases or invasive DRM. You can check out Dead Trigger on the Play Market here or you can snap the QR code below.

deadtriggerqr.jpg

Source: Android Authority

jayman350

Reaction score
its a shame really, these guys go out and make a game with the intent of offering it without IAP (which are absolutely horrible and have ruined many new games, IMO) and people can't pony up a buck to play their game

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
holy crap, the graphics are amazing and it's a 122MB download :popped out:

Why couldn't the devs just put the anti-piracy code that google provides devs where it validates the app against the user running it. PowerAmp uses that to decrease piracy.

tc1

Reaction score
That is a shame, at 99 cents there is no reason to pirate a game.

Quality game worth more than 99 cents.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but this seems like a dumb reason to make a game free because of piracy. Actually, I do know why I think this is dumb.

This is what I know about Android piracy:

1. Because of the fragmented base of devices, games are not released for all hardware, so games are pirated to work on more devices
(also, if a game is only made to work on certain hardware, and you bought the game, you want it to work on all the hardware you own).
2. The price of the game (or app) is too high for most users to want to pay, so they search for alternatives.
3. If an app can be pirated, it will.

As with number 3 on my list, no Developer or app is resistant to piracy, but Devs can make it harder to pirate an app (Poweramp for example)

Given the open nature of Android, as opposed to iOS, Android apps may be more prevalant to piracy, but that doesn't mean Developers can't make their apps "more friendly" to resist piracy

If the game is all that, charge for it. Amazing that devs don't realize the power of 99 cents.

P.S.

I only bought PowerAmp after the price came down to $2.99.  Granted, it's one of the best music apps available, but the price of $4.99 was too high for me to even consider it.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
As someone pointed out in one of the comments, piracy is far worse for PC Gaming yet they still manage. The world is not coming to an end.

acousticshade

Reaction score
One way to help stop piracy is to shame those who practice it. Got friends with pirated games, movies or music? Guess what, they are thieves. Doesn't matter what crud they want to try to argue to legitimize their position, they are thieves. Tell them they are thieves & keep telling them they are thieves.

Android depends on both software and hardware development & if piracy becomes too rampant, guess what, Ios development will flourish & androids will fail.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I tried to get the game and I get a message that my device (stock Droid Razr) is not compatible. Strange.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
One way to help stop piracy is to shame those who practice it. Got friends with pirated games, movies or music? Guess what, they are thieves. Doesn't matter what crud they want to try to argue to legitimize their position, they are thieves. Tell them they are thieves & keep telling them they are thieves.

Android depends on both software and hardware development & if piracy becomes too rampant, guess what, Ios development will flourish & androids will fail.

So if i've ever installed a "pirated" game on my Android phone, i'm a thief? Way to generalize.

I will ADMIT that I have resorted to installing cracked games on my phone from time to time. In most cases, this is because the game is "not compatible with my device" - even though it is. In these cases, I go through any steps I can to legitimately purchase a license, most often I purchase it on another device that I have no intentions of using it on. In other cases, it is because a game I have already purchased has had it's compatibility yanked by the developer for whatever reason, and they are unresponsive to fixing it.

In both cases, I feel perfectly okay doing this, because one way or another, I HAVE paid the developer. Thus, I am NOT a thief. I am simply a frustrated consumer that will do what I can to use what i've paid for.