Data Usage?

Lorelai

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a duplication of another topic...

I was reading the thread about Verizon ending unlimited data on 7/29 and had a couple of questions...

Right now on my account, I have BlackBerrys and a Palm. The Palm uses ActiveSync and the BlackBerrys have email pushed from other accounts and Gmail. Does any of this count towards data usage? How can I check what we currently use each month? Does each phone get their own amount or are they each connected to the same?

Currently, aside from email, texts and calling, the phones are used to check news and occasionally look up something on the web. It doesn't seem like that should use too much data, but I am not that tech savvy when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Once a game or app has been downloaded from the market on the Droid, does it use up a large portion of the data allotment?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am planning on upgrading my phones and changing what were two plans into one plan after the 29th and am now concerned how these changes will affect me.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer! :)

Droid101

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a duplication of another topic...

I was reading the thread about Verizon ending unlimited data on 7/29 and had a couple of questions...

Right now on my account, I have BlackBerrys and a Palm. The Palm uses ActiveSync and the BlackBerrys have email pushed from other accounts and Gmail. Does any of this count towards data usage? How can I check what we currently use each month? Does each phone get their own amount or are they each connected to the same?

Currently, aside from email, texts and calling, the phones are used to check news and occasionally look up something on the web. It doesn't seem like that should use too much data, but I am not that tech savvy when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Once a game or app has been downloaded from the market on the Droid, does it use up a large portion of the data allotment?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am planning on upgrading my phones and changing what were two plans into one plan after the 29th and am now concerned how these changes will affect me.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer! :)

There will be no changes to 3G data charges it has been confirmed by Verizon CFO:Verizon CFO Denies Tiered 3G Data Plans are Imminent - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Use all the data your hearts desire:)

ChugIt

Reaction score
To actually answer your questions....

Each phone on an account accumulates their own data, it is not all together on one plan as shared data. Calls are shared on the share plan - 1400 minutes for example is 1400 minutes total for all of your lines to share. Mobile to mobile (Verizon cell to any Verizon) cell is free, don't use minutes. You can check your data/calls/texts with the My Verizon app or online at myverizon.com so you know where you are at.

You will be told by apps that you download whether they use your 3G data or not. This is Quite relative really. If you watch youtube or play online games, or listen to Pandora Radio ( I love Pandora!) a lot it will accumulate more data. You can always check (online site is generally more accurate in my experience) and see how much data you are using.

If you have any more questions just post back, there are many of us here to help!

Last edited:

erikfig

Reaction score
To actually answer your questions....

Each phone on an account accumulates their own data, it is not all together on one plan as shared data. Calls are shared on the share plan - 1400 minutes for example is 1400 minutes total for all of your lines to share. Mobile to mobile (Verizon cell to any Verizon) cell is free, don't use minutes. You can check your data/calls/texts with the My Verizon app or online at myverizon.com so you know where you are at.

You will be told by apps that you download whether they use your 3G data or not. This is Quite relative really. If you watch youtube or play online games, or listen to Pandora Radio ( I love Pandora!) a lot it will accumulate more data. You can always check (online site is generally more accurate in my experience) and see how much data you are using.

If you have any more questions just post back, there are many of us here to help!

Did not knew about the app, will try that! Thanks!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Lorelai,

It sounds like you have not setup or gone into your online Verizon account. very easy to do, and once you do so you will be able to check realtime your phone useage, calls and data. You can also setup online payments, and even make changes to your plan(s) without having to visit a VZW store.

I do not have the direct link, but google "Verizon" and this should get you going. The droid was my first smart phone, and I quickly setup my Verizon account and soon realized I had been missing a lot of "stuff".

Craig

R

RETG

Just remember, the usage on a BB is lower than on an Andoid. RIM's servers compress data before sending to the BB. Compression is either 5 or 6:1.

morsecode191

Reaction score
K so I'm very new to the Droid world and I've already made a thread involving the texting, but now I'm a little confused with how "data use" is calculated with the Droids.

I just logged onto my Verizon Account (I don't have unlimited data, just 150 MB a month) and it's said I already used 11 MB since Thursday. When I looked at the detailed description of the use, it says there's minor usage at random times in the morning including .02 MB at 5 am, 6 am, and all other times that I was asleep and definitely not using my phone.

What could have caused this and how can I fix it? I don't want my data being used when I'm not even knowing it. And while we're on the subject, can someone explain how I should be going about internet access? Like what's the difference between WiFi, 3G Mobile HotSpot, and the initially checked "Mobile Networks"? I know this is very basic and I should know it, but I don't so thanks!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe that if you use wifi your data will not be charged.

scubieman

Reaction score
Use the widget power control. Then turn sync off. Your usage is from apps using data to keep up to date . Text and phone does not use data everything else does.

Sync will stop apps from wasting data and will use data only when you want it.

droidman101

Reaction score
gps takes data as well as sync, use the power widget thats preinstalled on your phone and uncheck sync and gps and youd be good to go

morsecode191

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try all that and see how it works.

I don't think I ever had GPS on though, but I'm not sure about Sync. When I looked on the power control widget nothing is green (on) except for the brightness. I'll see how this works out so thanks guys.

tigerdango

Reaction score
Previous poster is correct, using Wi-Fi on your phone will not use data, remember that. You should have the My Verizon app. If you have limited data or texts it will be invaluable to keeping up with your usage. Welcome to the Droid family. :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App