"Data is Syncing" Icon

Floppy Joe

Reaction score
For the last 20 or so hours, I've had the "Data is Syncing" icon up in the status bar. It looks like a b&w two curved arrows doing the yin/yang thing. This is NOT the mail or calendar sync icon. It has been appearing off and on (more on than off), and it is really a drain on the ol' battery. Big drain. The 3G icon shows that it is being used. It does switch over to WiFi when available and continues.

Searching these forums has failed to turn up anything of a like nature. Is Verizon doing something that I should be aware of? I've received no notices for upgrading.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the last 20 or so hours, I've had the "Data is Syncing" icon up in the status bar. It looks like a b&w two curved arrows doing the yin/yang thing. This is NOT the mail or calendar sync icon. It has been appearing off and on (more on than off), and it is really a drain on the ol' battery. Big drain. The 3G icon shows that it is being used. It does switch over to WiFi when available and continues.

Searching these forums has failed to turn up anything of a like nature. Is Verizon doing something that I should be aware of? I've received no notices for upgrading.

Have you tried just resetting your phone to see if it stops? It's probably an app that's doing this. If you don't know which one then just reset the phone that should stop this.

This isn't an upgrade, you would be notified if it was.

OP
F

Floppy Joe

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was a rogue app, too. I tried shutting down everything that wasn't essential. In my "Running Services", there is something I've never seen before, "Android Core Apps", and I can't seem to shut it down.

I've powered down the phone multiple times, even all night, but it still starts this sync thing. If there is another way to reset it, I'm not sure what it is.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was a rogue app, too. I tried shutting down everything that wasn't essential. In my "Running Services", there is something I've never seen before, "Android Core Apps", and I can't seem to shut it down.

I've powered down the phone multiple times, even all night, but it still starts this sync thing. If there is another way to reset it, I'm not sure what it is.

Well, first try a battery pull. Pull it for a full 30 seconds to allow the capacitors to discharge. Try it again. If that doesn't work go to your phone and do a factory reset. Settings/Privacy/Factory Data Reset. All your apps will come back when you do this. If you still have a problem you'll probably have to find the rogue app that's causing this problem and that will call for a hard reset.

Let's talk about that later.

OP
F

Floppy Joe

Reaction score
Had done the battery pull, with no effect. I just completed the Factory Reset, and it seems to have done the job. However, the only apps that came back were the pre-installed ones. All of my DL'd apps have disappeared. I'm trying to recover as best as I can.

Palmyra

Reaction score

This is interesting in that the same is happening to me today. Except that it has been a much shorter period of time. It stopped somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00pm EST. (I was search for an answer when I ran across your post)

Now this is interesting, I have no GPS signal! "My Location" is being set by cell tower only. $#%@#* What is going on?

Heynewgirl

Reaction score
I myself also had this happen. I got out of work about 630pm pst Feb 19 and noticed it right away when I turned my phone on. At first I thought it was my email syncing but it was not my email. I kept playing with my phone trying to get it to go away. I turned off all my programs and it was still running.

thaJack

Reaction score
Similar problem. Saw the sync icon yesterday for a brief moment. Since then, I have not been able to get a good GPS lock.

thaJack

Reaction score
My GPS issue seems to have resolved itself this afternoon.