Data encryption

km75

Reaction score
Has anyone used the data encryption feature for their D3? More specifically has anyone used the feature to encrypt their sd card and their internal storage? I currently have the phone data encrypted but not anything else. My concern is that when/if I encrypt my sd card that if I try to sync my music, pictures etc to my laptop by way of a usb cable my laptop won't be able to read the data. Is my concern warranted?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Is there anybody out there that uses the data encryption feature for their D3 or no?

Dmw017

Reaction score
Lol yeah I don't use it just to be on the safe side

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Well apparently from the lack of responses nobody else does either. Lol. But i would of thought at least one person out there does mobile banking on their phone and felt the need for data encryption. Guess i thought wrong.

alynch

Reaction score
Works fine.

Is there anybody out there that uses the data encryption feature for their D3 or no?

I just turned it on today, but for device only (not for /sdcard or /sdcard-ext). I'm also rooted, via the manual method.

It works perfectly fine, with no noticeable slowdowns, even when my D3 is under-clocked to 600mhz using SetCPU. Haven't gotten a bead on battery drain yet, but I'm not too worried. After removing bloatware, before encrypting, I was getting 2 days of use on a charge.

The reason I haven't encrypted the "external" storage partitions is due to the warnings about not being able to capture video at high data-rates. I have a class 10 microSDHC card, so I might be okay... But I'll wait until I have time to back it up to a tarfile before I test it out.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
I just turned it on today, but for device only (not for /sdcard or /sdcard-ext). I'm also rooted, via the manual method.

It works perfectly fine, with no noticeable slowdowns, even when my D3 is under-clocked to 600mhz using SetCPU. Haven't gotten a bead on battery drain yet, but I'm not too worried. After removing bloatware, before encrypting, I was getting 2 days of use on a charge.

The reason I haven't encrypted the "external" storage partitions is due to the warnings about not being able to capture video at high data-rates. I have a class 10 microSDHC card, so I might be okay... But I'll wait until I have time to back it up to a tarfile before I test it out.

The problem I had with encrypting the sd card/ sd card extension was that when I tried to upload music files to my computer my computer couldnt read the files. So I'm no longer using it. A little off topic but setcpu actually functions correctly for the D3? I'm rooted as well.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

alynch

Reaction score
The problem I had with encrypting the sd card/ sd card extension was that when I tried to upload music files to my computer my computer couldnt read the files. So I'm no longer using it. A little off topic but setcpu actually functions correctly for the D3? I'm rooted as well.

Regarding the USB connectivity, I could see that being an issue. For music, I'm a Google Music user, so that comes down via the network. And as for the rest of my content, I use a combination of rsync/ssh to/from my home storage array or an Amazon EC2 instance (as needed)- and that's over the network, too.

So in my case, I'm not too worried about not being able to read the storage partitions via USB directly. The fact that I shouldn't be able to, however, does make a lot of sense, however- the filesystem itself is encrypted using eCryptfs.

I should also be able to extract the encryption keys from the Droid 3's mount daemon and use them to mount the USB storage devices on a local Linux host in a pinch, if worst comes to worst. (Yeah, I'm a UNIX guy.)

As for SetCPU, it seems to work for me. When I downclock the CPU, multiple apps (Elixir 2, OS Monitor, etc) register the frequency change, as does the Linux/Android kernel itself. Also, Cordy/Angry Birds/etc are a touch slower, and the battery lasts longer.

-Adam

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
I just thought that once I disabled encryption then all my files would become readable again. If it did that I would still use it. But I am definitely going to give he setcpu a try

alynch

Reaction score
I just thought that once I disabled encryption then all my files would become readable again.

Well, in theory, you could be able to... I haven't played with Moto's implementation with eCryptfs much yet to know for sure, either way. I'm doing that now. Hooray for root!

-Adam

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
I hear you on that! Lol. In the event you do find a way to make the encrypted data readable by a foreign system I would appreciate it if you would shed further light on the subject

Reaction score
Anyone know to disable the data encryption password key code entry? I was forced to put one on because of this popular message that told me I had to enable it.. Now I want to disable it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

chiplg

Reaction score
I'm changing my earlier post. It looks like you just go back to settings>Location & Security>Data Encryption> and then uncheck what you want to decrypt.

I never realized this was possible. My tablet is a one shot deal. You encrypt it, and have to do a factory reset to have an unencrypted tablet.

Last edited: