Data-Background and enabled

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
I just got a Droid 2 Global (I had a Droid 1 for about a year and loved it) and have a few questions that the sales reps couldn't, or wouldn't, answer.

1. Under Data Deliver can background data and data enabled be turned of without causing issues with functionality? Will turning them off help with battery life?

2. I have seen in other threads that LauncherPro is a good app to have, but I am not really sure how to use it. Is it similar to a task killer? I have removed the task kill from my phone and from my wife's due to suggestions by several users in posts.

3. How great of a site is this? That's not really a question, I have found some very useful info here and like having somewhere to go to ask questions to make my phone work better for me.

Thanks!

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I just got a Droid 2 Global (I had a Droid 1 for about a year and loved it) and have a few questions that the sales reps couldn't, or wouldn't, answer.

1. Under Data Deliver can background data and data enabled be turned of without causing issues with functionality? Will turning them off help with battery life?

2. I have seen in other threads that LauncherPro is a good app to have, but I am not really sure how to use it. Is it similar to a task killer? I have removed the task kill from my phone and from my wife's due to suggestions by several users in posts.

3. How great of a site is this? That's not really a question, I have found some very useful info here and like having somewhere to go to ask questions to make my phone work better for me.

Thanks!

Not sure what background data does, but turning off "Data Enabled" will help your battery, but it will also.....disable data.

Launcher Pro allows you to make changes to your homescreen and replaces your stock launcher.

The site has helped me a ton. I've only been a Droid owner for less than a month, and I have learned a ton of info here.

OP
M

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
Thanks, gsu_golfer!

The droid 2 is different enough from the original droid that I feel like I am getting a smart phone for the first time again.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Turning off enable data will disconnect your phone from the mobile data network. You will not receive emails or be able to use the internet on your phone until you turn mobile data back on, or you connect to a wifi network.
My tip for the battery would be to go into settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and change the network type from Global to CDMA only. You do not need the global radio turned on in the States.

Launcher Pro is a home replacement app. It allows a few more customizations that the stock launcher and home screens. It also provides some Widgets that some people prefer over the Motorola Widgets. Launcher Pro is in no way a task killer. Task killers are not needed in android. Here's a thread about them if you have any questions:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

This site is the best place to come to get answers to your droid related problems. :)

Thanks!

I responded in your quote under each question.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

OP
M

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score

Turning off enable data will disconnect your phone from the mobile data network. You will not receive emails or be able to use the internet on your phone until you turn mobile data back on, or you connect to a wifi network.
My tip for the battery would be to go into settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks and change the network type from Global to CDMA only. You do not need the global radio turned on in the States.

Launcher Pro is a home replacement app. It allows a few more customizations that the stock launcher and home screens. It also provides some Widgets that some people prefer over the Motorola Widgets. Launcher Pro is in no way a task killer. Task killers are not needed in android. Here's a thread about them if you have any questions:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

This site is the best place to come to get answers to your droid related problems. :)

Thanks!

I responded in your quote under each question.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App.

1.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html
2.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html
3.)http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

Thank you! I get the part about the data enabled, but what about background data? Would that also mess with the internet?

I have already switched from global to CDMA. I also bought the extended battery for myself, but my wife didn't want the back cover not to match, so I may look into the R2D2 extended batter for her, but for now she is going to carry my other battery with her. I am trying to increase battery life for her.

One other note, to mod's perhaps: I know there are many threads relating to battery life, but my my questions are just about some of the functions of the programs so please bear with me.

OP
M

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
What type of apps or functions would be affected by turning off background data?

rbruceporter

Reaction score
I leave background data off on my Droid. It does prevent most apps from updating in the background. It will impact weather/temperature applications and any other application that keeps itself up to date in the background.

It has not bothered my email, sms, or other pushed content at all. And any app that has its background data turned off, works fine when you explicitly launch it. Weatherbug for example. My google contacts and calendar continue to sync even with background data turned off.

In short I have noticed an improved battery life, with no noticeable loss of functionality. Your mileage may vary depending on your specific app mix and their needs.