D3 skipped in custom roms

jjhiza

Reaction score
Very true...I just wanted to put the info out there for any devs that hadn't seen it already. I figured the Atrix exploit could be very helpful, considering it's a device from the same manufacturer, similar bootloader (I assume), the same OS version, and same starting condition (locked) as the D3. Hopefully somebody will find it useful...

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
bonesjones

bonesjones

Reaction score
So it looks like my fears were true. The d3 is going the way of the d2g. Ignored for the most part as far as custom roms go.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Being a Negative Nancy helps no one, nor encourages anyone. We already have SD, and Woody is still working.

Patience is a virtue...

OP
bonesjones

bonesjones

Reaction score
Eh, just hoping to be proved wrong.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So it looks like my fears were true. The d3 is going the way of the d2g. Ignored for the most part as far as custom roms go.

Lawl, wut? No.. we already have 2 roms out. Two more are being tested(in beta). And we have CyanogenMod 7 on the Droid 3, just need to get all the features to work on it.. so therefore, also a beta.

That's 5 roms. We're good.

Actually 6 roms, we have Stock DeoDex and Debloated DeoDex.

I'm guessing you're not paying to much attention to the Droid 3 section over at XDA, are you? There's quite a bit going on..

OP
bonesjones

bonesjones

Reaction score
Lawl, wut? No.. we already have 2 roms out. Two more are being tested(in beta). And we have CyanogenMod 7 on the Droid 3, just need to get all the features to work on it.. so therefore, also a beta.

That's 5 roms. We're good.

Actually 6 roms, we have Stock DeoDex and Debloated DeoDex.

I'm guessing you're not paying to much attention to the Droid 3 section over at XDA, are you? There's quite a bit going on..

Honestly no, I stay on this forum mostly.

jjhiza

Reaction score
There are actually a couple nice ROMs out, over on XDA, and Cyanogen has a bootable (but not entirely useable) build in the works as well. If the CM7 team is behind the device, then there's obviously interest. The problem is the bootloader still being locked, so we can't overclock, but we do have CwM, a few solid pieces of firmware, and a solid community of good developers. I personally don't need to see 50 or 60 different ROMs for the D3... if we had 5 or 6 great ones, with great development behind them, I'd be happy...quality not quantity, as the saying goes.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Understandable. That's how I was too. But then I realized this forum seems to just bring news from other sites like XDA and Droid-Life. Head over to XDA and you'll see we have quite a bit going on.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
I suggest checking out XDA and Rootzwiki.

As for ROM's we have Steel Droid, Monster, and a Deodexed out now. Droid Concepts in still being tested, and others are most likely underwraps. I've already seen a Bionic Theme that works as if for the D3, so it's only a matter of time before we get Bionic ROM's and Themes ported over to our D3's.

pyro6128

Reaction score

BenLand is right, you should def check out XDA to keep on top of whats going on in the droid 3 world. This site, while nice, is severely lacking when it comes to the D3. Put it this way, there will never be any sort of information on this site that you can't also find on XDA. However, often, there's a lot on XDA that you won't find on this forum.

nu2droid

Reaction score
Ok y'all, I have a question.
Where is the bootloader file located? What type of file is it? I am no dev, but I like to play with things. I was wanting to take a peak at it.
Also, how would you know the difference between a locked and unlocked loader.

jjhiza

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the bootloader isn't just a file that you can access via Root Explorer or anything… I'm fairly certain you need a Linux box, and the appropriate tools just to glean anything out of it. I'm not a dev either, so I may be totally wrong, but one thing I'm sure of is, unless you have the money to go buy a new phone, I'd suggest leaving the bootloader alone… even some of the best developers and dev teams haven't been able to crack this thing yet, and I would hate to see you with a $500 brick, just because you were curious, ya know? If you're looking to learn about them, shoot a PM to a good developer (like Cyanogen, HasSpacemoose1, Chevy, or Pete), and maybe they can help you out a bit. :)

As far as locked vs unlocked…from what I understand, it deals with kernel access. Without an unlocked bootloader we can't run custom kernels (ie. No overclocking or wireless tethering, although there's a radio hack for that). I believe that outside of speed improvements, kernels can also regulate or affect battery performance. Most custom kernels I ran on my OG Droid, got significantly better battery life than I was getting stock. Outside of that tiny bit of information, I really don't have anything else… I'd suggest finding someone on XDA or Rootzwiki, sending them a PM, and see what they say…not that there aren't great devs here (because there are), there are just more of them on the other sites. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums