D2G Cracked Digitizer

ExodusC

Reaction score
So, my Droid 2 Global took a fall onto its face, and now I have a severely cracked digitizer.

I have insurance through Asurion. How are their replacements? Are they of poor quality like the Verizon replacements?

Any idea if they're shipping out Droid 3's or anything as replacements?

I ask because I'm not sure if I want to pay the $100 deductible when I can buy a different phone for ~$200 out of contract.

I've just had several problems with my D2G. Anyone know anything at all about the current state of Asurion and the D2G?

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.

Iamdroid2

Reaction score
well the d2g is a good phone what problems have been having ? oh and if i were you i would just fix the screen only cost 70 bucks to have someone do it even less if u buy the part

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Rest assured, asurion usually ships brand new D2G's as insurance replacements.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
well the d2g is a good phone what problems have been having ? oh and if i were you i would just fix the screen only cost 70 bucks to have someone do it even less if u buy the part
Well, the software support is pretty awful, with the litany of bugs that popped up in the official Gingerbread update, but that's the least of my problems. Aside from the ton of dust that somehow accumulated under my screen (I kept my phone clean), some of what I think is the adhesive on the bottom edge of my screen appears to have swelled up and covers a portion of my LCD. Both of these problems, according to Verizon, were apparently my fault; thus I was refused a warranty replacement. I got the same response from in-store employees as well as over the phone. Rather than raising hell, I sucked it up and dealt with it. Aside from the software issues (which presumably affect all units), I've seen other threads about sudden dust accumulation. The adhesive swelling up is presumably specific to my unit.

I have an original Motorola Droid that also has a cracked digitizer, which I have ordered the part for and will attempt to replace. It might even become my daily driver, since there are a ton of stable and updated ROMs for it. Needless to say, it will be a test to see if I can successfully replace a digitizer on one of these units.

Rest assured, asurion usually ships brand new D2G's as insurance replacements.
Well, I'm glad to now they ship new units. I'm sure the deductible is $100 for accidental damage, unless someone else knows otherwise.

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
Well, I filed a claim with Asurion, so I should be getting a new Droid 2 Global in two days time. Sucks the deductible is $100, but hey, it's cheaper than buying a whole new device.

Anyways, I successfully replaced the cracked digitizer on my old Droid 1, and with very little dust under the screen. I had some serious trouble with a stripped screw, so it took a few hours, but other than that it went well.

Anyhow, hopefully my new D2G won't have the issues I had with mg first unit. Looking forward to trying out one of the ICS ROMs when it gets here.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sent from my Motorola Droid via Tapatalk.

Jonas

Reaction score
I don't wish to start a fight over who's right or wrong, but the three droid 2 globals I have gotten as replacments have all been refurbs. Not to say they are all bad. I go through phone a bit, being a learning hacker, and having somewhat of an exceedingly active lifestyle. Also, they are indeed using droid 3 are a replacement phone, but not everywhere. Some guys have reported they are doing that now, others say its still a D2G. Its probably gonna be a D2G until they run out, then they will switch to D3. As for doing it yourself, I would suggest that first. As long as you're comfortable doing it.

Sent from my Banana Phone

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Replace the screen yourself. I have done it on a d1, LG ally, and was ready to do one on a Dinc2 but the guy didn't buy the phone. You can watch how to replace the digitizer on YouTube. Just pause it as you go after each step. It really is easy if you take your time. You can get the screen cheap on eBay. Usually less than $40. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
E

ExodusC

Reaction score
Well, I already filed a claim, my new D2G will be here tomorrow.

I feel comfortable enough to replace the digitizer myself (seems virtually the same as the Droid), but the phone had other problems, and I'm hoping to just get a new unit back from Asurion.

Sent from my Motorola Droid via Tapatalk.