CyanogenMod Benefits?

undergrace

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just rooted my phone yesterday and downloaded ROM Manager. I am a little iffy about installing CyanogenMod 6 on my phone (Droid 1 w/2.2 Froyo, now rooted). I can't seem to find out ... What are the features of Cyanogen that set it apart from Froyo??? I looked on CyanogenMods website under features and it is lacking a description. I don't care about wifi tethering(bc the wifi on my droid is not stable and doesn't work worth a **** anyway), mainly just customization and themes. Would it even be worth the hassle just for themes? I know that Cyanogen is a different firmware but I just can't find out what it does different from Froyo. Also I have read on several different forums that it has glitches such as when a call comes through the phone reboots and other bugs. Has anyone experienced any kind of bugs or is it smooth sailing?

Also, what the heck is a Kernel and would I need to install/flash one in addition to installing CyanogenMod?

A little confused...
Droidoll

Last edited:

dkscudder

Reaction score
Your kernel runs under your OS and gives it access to the hardware. You can read more here: Kernel (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every ROM comes with a kernel or it wouldn't start up, so you don't HAVE to flash one. Most people flash a custom kernel so they can over-clock their CPU above 800 Mhz. It can also let you read other file systems and connect to a VPN.

Cyanogen and other custom ROMS come without the Verizon bloat-ware and often have a bunch of different scripts that give you a great deal of control over how your phone looks and behaves. Some have more, some have less.

I agree that they often aren't documented well, but these ROMS are made by guys who are donating their spare time. I can't imagine wanting to write a lot of documentation in your spare time :) That would also take time away from the next version of their ROM. The best way to figure these things out is to just start doing it. Flash a ROM, play with it, and then flash another one. You'll figure out what you like and you can always go back to stock rooted or un-rooted if you like. If that doesn't sound like fun and you are pretty happy with how your phone works now, then leave it be.