Cyanogen Inc. Was Asked By Nintendo To Create The OS For The Nintendo Switch

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Switch-gamepad.jpg

The Nintendo Switch is taking the world by storm quickly becoming one of Nintendo's most popular portable consoles ever. In one of the craziest moves ever Kirt McMaster the former CEO of Cyanogen Inc. told Nintendo to "Stick It" when they approached him about creating the OS for the Nintendo Switch. The proposition was brought to Kirt in the early days of the corporation. The reasoning behind the decision was based on the fact that the Nintendo Switch was mostly "custom kernel" and that it used bits of Android. Do you think the Switch would have performed as well if it would have turned out to be a Cyanogen OS powered Android device? Would it have compelled you any more to have made the purchase?

via XDA

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm a fan of the Nintendo Switch UI. Sure it could use a browser and video player, but I think that support will come in time. I bought it for one purpose and that is to play games. The UI is clean and straightforward.

Considering how far Cyanogen fell, kind of glad Nintendo got turned down by them. I doubt Nintendo would've marketed it as "Cyanogen powered" anyway

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Considering how far Cyanogen fell, kind of glad Nintendo got turned down by them. I doubt Nintendo would've marketed it as "Cyanogen powered" anyway
Cyanogen fell because McMaster was full of himself and a total AH.
Let's just sat Nintendo got lucky when he turned them down..

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Cyanogen fell because McMaster was full of himself and a total AH.

Sure seems like it just based on this little snippet, where McMaster told Nintendo to "stick it" for seemingly no reason. If Nintendo was offering a bad deal, then I could see his response as justified...but without context behind why he said it in such a way, he certainly does come off as arrogant and an a-hole.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sure seems like it just based on this little snippet, where McMaster told Nintendo to "stick it" for seemingly no reason. If Nintendo was offering a bad deal, then I could see his response as justified...but without context behind why he said it in such a way, he certainly does come off as arrogant and an a-hole.
Historically, he is an AH

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

To be fair Nintendo has a history of being pretty horrible as well. Sony was working on the SNES CD and at the same time the first version of the PlayStation 1 was being developed. Nintendo caught wind of this and told Sony to work on one or the other. Sony told nintendo to kick rocks.... serves em right too...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Whether the person is an AH or not we don't know what actually took place in that room so can not determine who was at fault.

With that said, considering how far cm fell, I'm betting they wish they had the work right now. Hindsight 20/20 I'm betting they wish they would have stuck to saying yes vs telling Nintendo to "stick it". Sometimes you have to take some of the small jobs you may not want to propel you to the heights you are seeking.

The exposure could have helped with getting more work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk