Customizing notification tones...

catlady

Reaction score
I know this has been covered elsewhere in the forum, but the instructions there don't seem to work for the Vortex, so...how do I go about setting different tones for SMS, MMS and voicemail? Any suggestions? The manual gave great instructions for setting a custom alarm tone, but nothing else that I could find.

colaim

Reaction score
Hi. I just got my Vortex yesterday, and so far, I love it. Here's how to add ringtones to the notifications. Plug the Vortex into the computer w/USB cable. Go to 'My Computer' and double click the "removable storage" icon. A bunch of folders will come up. These are your SD card files. Add a notifications folder to it. Make sure "notifications" is in all lowercase letters. Next, copy and paste your ringtones into this folder and you're all set.

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks--had done that already, and I can set ONE ringtone for ALL messages: text, pix, voicemail. I don't seem to have the option to set a separate tone for EACH of those types of messages, so that I know from the sound which I've received.

Reaction score
Try WhoIsit Beta from the market. You can set custom ringtones for calls, text, Gmail and mms for each contact.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks, but user reviews of WhoIsIt indicate that you can't use custom tones with it...I know, picky, picky, picky! But my old LG Chocolate 3 allowed me to have separate custom ringtones for calls, SMS, MMS, and voicemail. I miss that.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whoisit does allow custom tones like you seek.I had it until the beta expired.

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

awjones

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, but user reviews of WhoIsIt indicate that you can't use custom tones with it...I know, picky, picky, picky! But my old LG Chocolate 3 allowed me to have separate custom ringtones for calls, SMS, MMS, and voicemail. I miss that.

You can use custom ringtones, just download a ringtone picker like Rings Extended.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks for both suggestions. Problem is, I don't want separate tones for every single contact, or even those I use most frequently. I want one individual tone for ALL calls, a separate individual tone for ALL SMS, a separate individual tone for ALL MMS, and a separate individual tone for ALL voicemail. Neither of those apps seems to be configured for that...And I want to use my own sounds, not the phone's presets. Oh well...it was worth investigating...thanks again to everybody who offered potential solutions.

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Your old chocolates looking better and better isnt it?

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
I liked my Chocolate, especially the varied ringtones, but as long as I can use my sounds for call ringtones, alarms and the one tone for all other messages (that's the irritating part, too!), I'm okay with the Vortex. It's not perfect, but neither was the Chocolate. Now if some of you creative apps developers are trolling the forum for suggestions, mine would be to create an app that allows one individual "personalized" tone for all calls, one for all SMS, one for all MMS and one for all voicemail--for those of us who aren't so much worried about who's communicating as what type of communication it is! THAT would make the Vortex almost perfect in my eyes!

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
I couldn't agree with you more Catlady. I would also like to add unique ringtones to certain contacts too. My LG clamshell did. Surprised they didn't include that in the smart phones and build upon it rather than start from scratch. I just got my vortex last weekend so I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it.

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
WhoIsIt will allow you to set ringtones for individual contacts, if that's what you're looking for StiffOneEye. It's just not what I want.

Has anybody tried Handcent? Does it allow for what I've been whining about in this whole thread? Remember, I don't want individual tones for each contact, just for each type of communication:call, SMS MMS, voicemail--and my personal wildlife tones, at that!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for both suggestions. Problem is, I don't want separate tones for every single contact, or even those I use most frequently. I want one individual tone for ALL calls, a separate individual tone for ALL SMS, a separate individual tone for ALL MMS, and a separate individual tone for ALL voicemail. Neither of those apps seems to be configured for that...And I want to use my own sounds, not the phone's presets. Oh well...it was worth investigating...thanks again to everybody who offered potential solutions.

Go on the market and look up whoisit by appsbyandy.
Look at the photo on the right. It does allow 1 ringtone for all texts, another for all mms, another for all voicemail, etc plus the ability to individualise contacts
I had it until the beta expired, don't get enough mms to worry about separating the tone from the text tone, the Inc does a standard call tone for all and a voicemail for all and Ringo takes care of my text tones for contacts so I didn't see a need to buy it.

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

ceboykin86

Reaction score
It takes a little digging but you can set a custom phone call ringtone for any contact. Contacts> Specific Contact> Menu key> Options> ringtone. I know the default messaging app and sms popup allow a separate text ringtone. Sms popup does contact specific as well but for all texts.

I have not used whoisit so dunno how it works.

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks, but as I've repeated throughout this thread I want ONE UNIVERSAL tone from my own files for ALL calls, ditto for SMS, MMS, & voicemail--not contact-specific tones. If you've figured out how to set separate UNIVERSAL tones for any/all of these functions, please share the details!