Customizing email ringtone notifications

splbound

Reaction score
Hello all. I've seen this question danced around in other posts, or posts for the original Droid, but not Droid 2. If I'm missing it, then I apologize, but....

I have downloaded a bunch of ringtones to my SD card. I can change tones freely, and assign certain tones to different contacts. Cool.

I have two gmail accounts and one AOL account. I want to customize personal ringtones for each of those accounts. I go to set the ringtone for these in settings and the only options that I am given are factory provided tones. It will not give me access to the SD card, as it did to set phone ringtones.

Anyone else grappling with this issue? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Michael

dast

Reaction score
Try this: make a directory on your sd card named notifications. Drop an mp3 in that dir and see if it shows up as an option when configuring your email notification sound.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

splbound

Reaction score
I just tried that and no, it did nothing to the list of ringtones. Thanks for the suggestion.

dast

Reaction score
Dang. It's been a minute since I last stored ringtones/notification on my sd card. Got pissed about all of my sounds being unavailable when I'm having issues with said card. Copied them all to internal storage long ago so they are always around.

It's my understanding that in general, the D2 will pick up appropriate sound files from a set of specific directories, one set internal and the other set on the sd card. I'd google around to make sure you are putting the files in the right place and to make sure the files don't break length or file type restrictions or are in any way corrupted.

dast

Reaction score
BTW, If you ever figure out what was causing your files not to show up in the list, please post back and let us know. I'm very curious to know what the issue was.

OP
S

splbound

Reaction score
well here's how the issue was resolved.

Called Verizon. after a bit with tech support, i was asked to go to the market app, and download one of the many ringtone apps. He said that my tones probably wouldnt work there ( no idea why) but if I downloaded an app they would. So I downloaded the ringtone app, and downloaded a few tones. Sure enough they appear on the menu. BUT... so did my tones that were sitting in the notifications folder that I originally was trying to use.

Go figure. It works. What the trigger was i couldn't tell you. Downloading a ringtone app?

dast

Reaction score
Hilarious! Glad to hear it was solved tho.