customize the home double tap

WiseSalesman

Reaction score
PERFECTION

Thanks so much for this, and for the thread in general. Having QuickDesk work properly was something I sorely missed when Verizon chose to replace my defective Droid with the Droid 2.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Your welcome,

QuickDesk is a really useful app so I am glad I was able to figure this out and be able to share my method with android community.

Thank you for posting your question because it sparked me to take a closer a look at the new QuickDesk settings, and it was then that I discovered that I should disable "Persistent mode". Up until this point, I had to wait for Launcher Pro to reload, but now the two apps work together seamlessly.

I'm happy that I could provide a full working solution.

Pushwall

Reaction score
That is a great solution for this problem, WugFresh! :yr1: I'm glad to see others love QuickDesk and want to be able to make use of it easily.

I unfortunately am one who doesn't like the doubletap method to get to my home screens since I use the home screens more often than QuickDesk. So I offer the following 2 possible solutions of pulling up QuickDesk using doubletap.....

1. If your phone is rooted you can use the freeze option in Titanium Backup to make it work as outlined here. Basically what this does is disable the program that normally runs when you do the default Home double-tap so that it won't conflict with bringing up QuickDesk.

2. I personally like this second option better and it is the one I use. (This works whether your phone is rooted or not rooted.) You need to set Double Tap Timing to 700 for QuickDesk (Preferences/Behavior Settings/Double Tap Timing). QuickDesk will come up when you do a slow double tap on the Home key. The default launch double tap for your phone should still display with a quick double tap.

I'm not going to argue which method is better. Your method WugFresh might be one that most everyone uses. It's all a matter of preference and what you get used to I guess. Just thought I'd throw these other alternatives on here FWIW.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! I like the rooted method you posted more then mine. I didn't know you could do it that way. Who knows what solution everyone uses, all I know is that with the addition of your post, people can choose for themselves. This thread truly succeeds in that it offers a multitude of working solutions to one problem.

Thanks again.

ultima

Reaction score
you can also dl HomeSmack...it lets you customize douple tap and gives you control of search long press

Pushwall

Reaction score
you can also dl HomeSmack...it lets you customize douple tap and gives you control of search long press
Wow thanks for the info. I'll try it out. Like WugFresh said, this thread is offering a bunch of good alternative solutions to fix a nagging problem. Good stuff! :cool:

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I change my vote. Homesmack is by far the best solution to this issue. Thank you for the recommendation.

This helpful utility gives android users the versatility to assign the single tap action to whichever homescreen application they prefer; alter the functionality of the double tap action to initiate any application on their phone; and for the first time, provides an effortless method for remapping the long search action.

The app-based solution, a utilization of 'Homesmack', not only offers users with more capabilities and customization than any other method suggested in this thread (yes, I know that includes my own), but it does so in manner which conceals all the backend system manipulations, and instead, presents the user with a simple graphical interface to make their selections.

If this description didn't already convince you, Homesmack is available for FREE! The developer should really consider submiting a "donate version" to the market as well; I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who thinks (or will think) this app is helpful.

- WugFresh

Pushwall

Reaction score
Ditto too for me, WugFresh. Well said!! I love it when there is an eloquent solution. :gotmyvote:

ultima

Reaction score
I change my vote. Homesmack is by far the best solution to this issue. Thank you for the recommendation.

This helpful utility gives android users the versatility to assign the single tap action to whichever homescreen application they prefer; alter the functionality of the double tap action to initiate any application on their phone; and for the first time, provides an effortless method for remapping the long search action.

The app-based solution, a utilization of 'Homesmack', not only offers users with more capabilities and customization than any other method suggested in this thread (yes, I know that includes my own), but it does so in manner which conceals all the backend system manipulations, and instead, presents the user with a simple graphical interface to make their selections.

If this description didn't already convince you, Homesmack is available for FREE! The developer should really consider submiting a "donate version" to the market as well; I have a feeling that I'm not the only one who thinks (or will think) this app is helpful.

- WugFresh

lol i felt the same way when i found, or stumbled upon it...i typed in homes in market my screen had froze and didnt type the rest (homescreen) and i found it and have been loving it ever since