Custom tones for Text Messages

NoLastCalls

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to set their text message tone to a downloaded one? Currently, I have Chewbecca that I got from a Star Wars app. However, on my old phone, I used the Sportscenter alert. I am able to download that onto my phone, but I don't know how to get it onto my text message tone list so I can set it, only my ringtone list. Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out. I had to move the mp3 to my notification folder.

Last edited:

AeroBoy1987

Reaction score
Help Please?

I too have been searching for the same answer over the past 3 days, and I see that you have figured out how to set Custom Text Message Tones on the Samsung Fascinate. I'm having trouble getting my Windows 7 Pro (64bit) System to see the memory card in the phone, I'm also having issues trying to set one of my ringtones as a text message tone. I've finally (after 3 days) figured out how to push files to my phone and set them as ringtones. I use Audacity to cut a song in my collection into a ringtone, then blue tooth the .mp3 file to my Samsung Fascinate, then in Music Player I set the :30 second clip as my ringtone. I have yet to figure out how to set it as a text message tone. That would be awesome if I could set one of my ringtones as a text message tone. Please assist me in figuring this out. It would be greatly appreciated. Step by Step instructions would be the best to understand. Please and Thank You~! dancedroid

soba1

Reaction score
RingDroid

That will allow you to clip sounds from certain songs and allow u to save as a message alert or ring tone......

Drootz

Reaction score
I know what you need =)

Coming from a BB where I could customize my ringers, notifications, and make profiles or any other combination of sound/notification for any app by using my sound files. I know what you mean about how you can't change the notification sounds, but the app you need to do this is available in the Market and it's called

Ringleader - Here is a review of it from another Android forum I am on

Manage your Android sound profiles better with RingLeader | Android Central

Summary - you can use Ringleader to attach your custom sound notifications to ANY app. just open the app select ringleader instead of android and select your tone, that you want your app to use to notify you. hope that make sense....

Now if anyone can figure out how to use the capacitative light at the bottom of the fascinate (where the menu, home, back, and search buttons are) for a flashing LED indicator of a missed call/msg/email etc...let me know. On my BB I had Berrybuzz which I could configure any color LED light to blink, now with no LED capactative light is my only hope....

Enjoy,
Drootz

Flyers2111

Reaction score
I too have been searching for the same answer over the past 3 days, and I see that you have figured out how to set Custom Text Message Tones on the Samsung Fascinate. I'm having trouble getting my Windows 7 Pro (64bit) System to see the memory card in the phone, I'm also having issues trying to set one of my ringtones as a text message tone. I've finally (after 3 days) figured out how to push files to my phone and set them as ringtones. I use Audacity to cut a song in my collection into a ringtone, then blue tooth the .mp3 file to my Samsung Fascinate, then in Music Player I set the :30 second clip as my ringtone. I have yet to figure out how to set it as a text message tone. That would be awesome if I could set one of my ringtones as a text message tone. Please assist me in figuring this out. It would be greatly appreciated. Step by Step instructions would be the best to understand. Please and Thank You~! dancedroid

Wow! that is just waayy too many steps to get notification tones. I just got the fascinate and was trying to figure this out too, (coming from a BB Storm) not sure I like the droid system but i'm trying to give it a full tryout for my 30days.

fishmstr

Reaction score
It's easy

Create three folders on the root of your SD card
Notifications
Alarms
Ringtones

And then simply copy the .mp3 files you want into each folder that you wish to have access to it.

See that wasn't so hard.

JackiA

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to set their text message tone to a downloaded one? Currently, I have Chewbecca that I got from a Star Wars app. However, on my old phone, I used the Sportscenter alert. I am able to download that onto my phone, but I don't know how to get it onto my text message tone list so I can set it, only my ringtone list. Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out. I had to move the mp3 to my notification folder.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Please wait. I don't see a "notification folder."
I downloaded a message tone from Zedge that I wanted to use as my notification tone for texts. It downloaded fine. I saved it, then moved it into the folder I named ringtones. I do not see a notifcation folder. BUT...try as I might, when I cannot find a way to assign it as the notification tone. I've tried going in through settings, sounds & display, notification tones, but it doesn't show up. I've tried going in to settings through the messaging app - doesn't show up. I've tried long pressing it, but the only option is to set as voice call ringtone. I can't see how to add it to the choices for notification tones.
Help!

Edited: Nevermind. I figured out that I had to create a folder called "Notifications" and move the tone there. Then it magically appeared as an option in the sound settings.

Last edited:

fishmstr

Reaction score
You have to create the folder and it needs to be named "notifications" don't forget the "s" at the end. Plug your phone into your computer mount the USB and open "Explorer" in windows. Right click at the root of the drive and choose "create new folder" and name it. Then move the files you want to be your notification into that folder.

JackiA

Reaction score
Thanks, fishmstr. As you see, I figured it out just before you posted. But, actually, I didn't need to create the file on my computer first. I created the new folder right in My Files on the phone and it worked the same.