Custom Kernel

AutoCANE

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't been back on in a couple days...haven't had much time to play around.

Had an issue today...turned WiFi on for the first time since installing the kernel and it bootlooped my phone. Had to go to recovery and install another kernel (slayher) to get the phone to boot and stay on so I could turn off WiFi.

Not sure if I'll switch back yet or wait for a WiFi fix. Depends on how the other kernel does battery-wise as I don't really use WiFi very much (it's been a couple days since I installed J's kernel and I'm just now coming across this issue).

ZaChYmO

Reaction score
I followed your directions and got:

swapon: /dev/block/ramzswap0: Invalid argument

Any suggestions?

You skiped initialized command---

do this @ terminal
#su
#rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init
#swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0
#free

you should see a swap, also make sure busybox is current should b 1.17.1 version

Edit:: sorry I ddnt read whole thing just make sure busybox is up to date.. or re download kernel again and re apply-- good luk!

When i do the #rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init my phone reboots itself and when i do the next line it tells me its invalid?

:icon_evil:

if your phone reboots after this step: #rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init
when it boots back up you need to repeat process again. This is happened to me before 2ntime around worked. If it keeps rebooting problem might be kernel voltage too low or speed too high. this was my experience with slayher 1250 enabling compcache phone very unstable, it wokrked with slayher 1100. i decided to try p3 1250 stndrd enabled comcache it ran well and sticked w/ it.

alc0re

Reaction score
miui 1.22 no mods...stock sdcard... slayher 1.7 @ 1.2ghz

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
4a41c5ad-f6de-5de7.jpg

I'm just starting this process...or will be. I make a swap partition with rom manager correct? What size should I make the swap partition? What size partition are you using?

juniorjwh

Reaction score
I've got it running now! Thank you for the great directions.

I realize this may sound lazy but, is there anything out there to run these commands? With the occupation I'm in really doesn't make it easy to bang out the commands.

I followed your directions and got:

swapon: /dev/block/ramzswap0: Invalid argument

Any suggestions?

Been having issues with the droid forums app today...anyway...

My phone is finicky and doesn't seem to like p3 based kernels, but I thought heck with it I'll give it a shot. Very simple steps and I couldn't be happier.

D/L jamezelle's v2 kernel from earlier in the thread
Install from SD card via ROM Manager, with a backup
If the phone boots, you're golden...let everything load.
Start Terminal and type

su
free

This will give you a look at how your memory is being used. Apparently the autostart script didn't work on my droid because the swap showed all zeroes. If that is the case, type

swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0

That is all it took to turn on compcache. I closed Terminal, opened a couple apps, closed them and went back into terminal and did typed

su
free

And it gives you your memory stats. There are other commands that jamezelle posted earlier in the thread that give even more in depth RAM data but these are the easiest commands.

Hope that was of some help...

sent from my magic talk box

You skiped initialized command---

do this @ terminal
#su
#rzscontrol /dev/block/ramzswap0 --init
#swapon /dev/block/ramzswap0
#free

you should see a swap, also make sure busybox is current should b 1.17.1 version

Edit:: sorry I ddnt read whole thing just make sure busybox is up to date.. or re download kernel again and re apply-- good luk!

D1 MIUI 1.22.1 p3LV125-1250 w/ RAMZSWAP & SetCPU using Mr_DSL's BlissSuaveHD v7

***Thank You JAMZELLE***

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

4a41c5ad-f6de-5de7.jpg

I'm just starting this process...or will be. I make a swap partition with rom manager correct? What size should I make the swap partition? What size partition are you using?

No, you insert the module, run rzscontrol, then enable the zswap (compressed RAM partition) with swapon.

juniorjwh

Reaction score
scripter # .... is the app for the lazy or thumb challenged.

D1 MIUI 1.22.1 p3LV125-1250 w/ RAMZSWAP & SetCPU using Mr_DSL's BlissSuaveHD v7 Theme. And onsht1kll's Time out Mod.

***Thank You JAMZELLE***

juniorjwh

Reaction score
Also noticed that ramzswap/compcache didn't play nice with video playback. The audio timing was ahead of the video and froze the phone. Not complaining just info.

The quadrant scores don't show an improvement, but the overall performance is noticably faster. I am pleased with results and will continue to utilize it.

D1 MIUI 1.22.1 p3LV125-1250 w/ RAMZSWAP & SetCPU using Mr_DSL's BlissSuaveHD v7 Theme. And onsht1kll's Time out Mod.

***Thank You JAMZELLE***

Reaction score
I finally took the dive and ran the commands. Thanks to all of you who've been ttroubleshooting and explaining them. If you guys hadn't posted such clear instructions and explanations I wouldn't have been informed enough or felt confident enough to try running them.

It turned out to be easier than I expected and my phone is definitely snappier than before. It's pretty amazing. I'm continually impressed by the developers and what they can do with the open capability of D1. With every modification more performance is squeezed out of the phone; it's very cool!

Thanks Jamzelle for the great port and this fantastic custom kernel.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
This and all of my other experiences with deep root confirm that unless it is totally unavoidable, I will not invest in a smartphone that has an impenetrebly locked bootloader.

AutoCANE

Reaction score
Reinstalled this kernel after updating to 1.1.28.0 and this time the compcache "start on boot" script worked. Didn't have to play with Terminal at all to initiate it. Sweet.

texstar420

Reaction score

4a41c5ad-f6de-5de7.jpg

Can somebody please post the link for slayher 1.7 kernels. I am having a hard time finding them.