Custom Bootanimation ?

Tepes

Reaction score
So now that I have root, I couldn't resist using rootexplorer to move my Hitchhiker's animation into Data/local, set permissions and give it a run...
The outcome was not the desired one. All I got was the M and then a black screen until the phone came up. Will something have to be changed in the animation to get it to run on the D3? The boot used to be on my D1.
Also, feel free to tell me to move this topic if I'm in the wrong spot.

Sent from my Hitchhiker's Guide mark 2

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
It was a fail in system media too. And I'm an idiot and replaced the original. Any chance someone can copy their original bootanimation.zip and post it so I can replace mine? Much appreciated.

jesusishere

Reaction score
It was a fail in system media too. And I'm an idiot and replaced the original. Any chance someone can copy their original bootanimation.zip and post it so I can replace mine? Much appreciated.

Download bootanimation.zip for free on Filesonic.com

^The original. I am about to try putting a custom boot animation now on my droid 3 to help you out.

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'm going to get some sleep now so I don't make any more dumb mistakes. Thank goodness this isn't something that could brick the phone :) Keep me posted on what you discover and I'll look at the code on mine tomorrow.

jesusishere

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'm going to get some sleep now so I don't make any more dumb mistakes. Thank goodness this isn't something that could brick the phone :) Keep me posted on what you discover and I'll look at the code on mine tomorrow.

No problem. The custom boot animation works well ok for me, it could be the one that I used wasn't really compatible as well, but it did work. My guess is that your bootanimation.zip is not at all compatible for the phone. Can I get a copy to check it out? I will be testing the custom sound next.

*Update* Deleting the Droid.ogg will result in it not making the droid sound at start up. I nearly got kicked out of my flipping class due to a random reboot and the damn thing going off. Replacing a *.ogg resulted in no custom sound and changing it to Droid.ogg seemed to do nothing as well for custom sound.

*Update* Found desc.txt in the original bootanimation.zip this could be applied to all custom boots.

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
This is the custom boot and audio I was using on the D1. Thanks again for taking a look at all of this. I'll toy around with the desc.txt today. I threw it in a 7zip. let me know if you need them separate.
Download Bootanim.7z for free on Filesonic.com

Update: Welcome to the idiot's guide on how not to put the animation on your phone. So as you will see with the folder, I'm an idiot. The Boot.zip itself contains the folder that holds the bootanimation.zip, along with all the stuff to install it via Metamorph. That being said, I extracted the actual bootanimation.zip and it works great. A little fast on the D3 and smaller, but running :) The audio still does not work, but I'm not really concerned about that right now.

jesusishere

Reaction score
Lol glad we got it fixed. The sound I am working on right now. This will be far easier on the the computer.
This may work, may not:

1. Go to your bootanimation.zip
2. Make a backup of "desc.txt:
3. Open bootanimation again and edit desc.txt
4. Under the first line add "s Droid.gg" (or any other sound CaSE SEnSitIVe)
5. Make sure you update the bootanimation.zip with the new desc.txt.
6. Put everything back and reboot.

tjkriegel

Reaction score
I put the Droid Bionic bootanimation in /data/local with the sound file in /system/media and it works fantastic!

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
Modifying the desc.txt was a no go for me. I just ended up with a black screen again. I even did the split between media and data/local. There may be a different desc.txt for newer boots that incorporate sound. Mine was from my OG which required a special .sh script to make sound possible with boot. I'll try deconstructing the original boot from the D3 and see if I can't update mine in size and sound.

jesusishere

Reaction score
Modifying the desc.txt was a no go for me. I just ended up with a black screen again. I even did the split between media and data/local. There may be a different desc.txt for newer boots that incorporate sound. Mine was from my OG which required a special .sh script to make sound possible with boot. I'll try deconstructing the original boot from the D3 and see if I can't update mine in size and sound.

Yeah I am working on it now. It didn't work for me either. I believe there is a sound binary you can install afterwards you can place android_audio.mp3 system/media.

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
That was what I had on the OG. I had even renamed the mp3 to that Droid.ogg to match the new one.

Dmw017

Reaction score
Didn't want to start up a new thread for my Q when this one was so similar.

Anyone know how to place the Bionic boot animation into the D3? Just started using ADB yesterday for root.

OP
Tepes

Tepes

Reaction score
Didn't want to start up a new thread for my Q when this one was so similar.

Anyone know how to place the Bionic boot animation into the D3? Just started using ADB yesterday for root.

I know jesusishere was successful in doing that, but I'm not sure if he used ADB. I use rootexplorer (available on the market), to move the bootanimation.apk to Data/Local and then set the permissions to match that of the bootanimation.apk in system/media. Works like a charm. I'm not 100% sure on the audio aspect, on that you may want to pm jesusishere.

Dmw017

Reaction score
Seems simple enough. Do you know where I could find the bootanimation apk for the Bionic? I remember a system dump being posted for it, would the apk be in there?
Btw what do you mean audio aspect of it, will there be problems with the sound during boot?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk