current iphone user and seriously considering an android phone help me decide!

c350xander

Reaction score
Hi guys im about to drop ATT and go to verizon but i dont kno whether to get the droid razr or the galaxy! current droid users and most experienced in the android peeps i need help to decide! im more of a power user i also take into consideration the hardware reliability, and also a very important factor is the design, im not too big into photos but i do like a crisp screen! also i have my Iphone jailbroken and use it as a hot spot is that available in the android platform with out having to pay the outrageous fee by the carriers? also what are some good tweaks! is the droid razr gna be root-able? what are the advantages of rooting?
anyways guys thanks for the info!!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I had a first Gen Ipod touch that I jailbroke and did a ton of mods to it. The hardware was great but the software was annoying...

The RAZR is already rooted and with root you can use wifi tether. Another option for you is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Its a developer phone with an unlocked bootloader and amazing screen. Its basically Google's showcase phone for the next Android operating system.

The HTC Rezound will be coming out soon also. It has Beats audio, 1.5 GHz dual core processor and more. The bootloader will be unlockable.

If it were me, I would choose between the Nexus and the Rezound. But I'm not exactly a Moto fan. The hardware is less than desired IMO.

Boot Manager

OP
C

c350xander

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I had a first Gen Ipod touch that I jailbroke and did a ton of mods to it. The hardware was great but the software was annoying...

The RAZR is already rooted and with root you can use wifi tether. Another option for you is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Its a developer phone with an unlocked bootloader and amazing screen. Its basically Google's showcase phone for the next Android operating system.

The HTC Rezound will be coming out soon also. It has Beats audio, 1.5 GHz dual core processor and more. The bootloader will be unlockable.

If it were me, I would choose between the Nexus and the Rezound. But I'm not exactly a Moto fan. The hardware is less than desired IMO.

Boot Manager

I read somewhere the the bootloader on the razr was locked! So it is not? Why do you not like the motorola phone I used to have the crzr before the whole smart phone craze happened and it was one of the best phones I had! When I heard the news of the droid razr that's what really made me consider the android platform! Otherwise I would have stayed an iPhone user! That being said I want to make sure that I will be satisfied with the new platform and that I can deal with thebad and the good! With apple I can deal with the restrictions cause they have plenty of stuff that I like and enjoy!

McGyver777

Reaction score
I might sound like an "out of dater," but the bionic just dropped in price and it has a removable battery, large screen that shows in daylight well, lots of memory with SD card upgradeable that can be removed, LTE 4G, dual core, and original bugs are worked out with new patches.

...and it will get ice cream too...love the phone so if you are looking for high end Android on a budget the bionic is rock solid now....even the data problems and camera are fixed with new update. It has devs working on it but boot is locked I think but roms and custom setups do exist...oh, extended battery lasts 12hrs plus under very heavy use.

Call quality is best I have seen on smart phones with loud speakerphone and even moto blur is pretty decent now. Ifixit gave it a 9 out of 10 for fixability too. Has great antenna / reception too, gets good signal even when other phones it am around don't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jdawg334

Reaction score
Hi! Welcome to DROID. I have the Moto Droid OG and have been nothing but happy with it even though it is an older phone and mine is almost a year and a half old now. My wife has the same phone and is ready to crush it and ask for an Iphone but thats her LOL. Motorola does make good phones and always has. Heck, they invented the cell phone as well as pagers. I've also owned 2 Samsung phones before I got my droid and my experience with both were superb so I am sure the new Nexus will be awesome as well. I would say just look at the specs of both & pick whats right for your needs as far as camera and all. The Razr and the new Nexus both have already been rooted before launch and should be great phones.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I might sound like an "out of dater," but the bionic just dropped in price and it has a removable battery, large screen that shows in daylight well, lots of memory with SD card upgradeable that can be removed, LTE 4G, dual core, and original bugs are worked out with new patches.

...and it will get ice cream too...love the phone so if you are looking for high end Android on a budget the bionic is rock solid now....even the data problems and camera are fixed with new update. It has devs working on it but boot is locked I think but roms and custom setups do exist...oh, extended battery lasts 12hrs plus under very heavy use.

Call quality is best I have seen on smart phones with loud speakerphone and even moto blur is pretty decent now. Ifixit gave it a 9 out of 10 for fixability too. Has great antenna / reception too, gets good signal even when other phones it am around don't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I agree with the guy above.

While the nexus looks nice it doesn't have a removable sd card...which kinda sucks. The razr doesn't have a removable battery which may or may not be such a big deal if it end up with some sort odd reset button.

If the pentile screen on the bionic didn't bother you then its rock solid now. The razr is pretty much a thin overclocked bionic with a super amoled screen.... BUT it has the same res. ram camera etc. its just overclocked 200mhz faster.

VZW its locking the razr bootloader however other markets are not hopefully this means the devs can find a way in.... Maybe a way into the bionic as well

Oh and Webtop through just an hdmi cable on a TV is AWESOME!!! Webtop is easily one of the coolest things i've ever used

Good luck and welcome to Android

Sent from my ROOTED DROID BIONIC using DROID forums!

ambrown

Reaction score
If I were in the market for a phone right now I would be trying to decide between the Galaxy Nexus and the HTC Rezound. Immediately the Rezound would be the obvious choice mainly because I personally think HTC sense UI is the smoothest skin on android these days, and coming from the iPhone you would probably appreciate it. The Galaxy Nexus is awesome because it will have android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box, and boy does it look sweet! But we don't know when the G Nexus will be available. Some have said it won't be here by Black Friday. The Rezound is out now. If you're interested in the specs match up then this link has the most concise comparison:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...id-razr-vs-samsung-galaxy-nexus/?tag=mncol;5n

I personally don't like the motoblur skin on Motorola phones and thats why I'm not recommending the Razr. I will say that the hardware feels solid though and I do like their design.
Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

alboboy10

Reaction score
Nexus or rezound I would say...but best bet is nexus