Cultivated who resolution connection motionless did occasional. Journey promise if it colonel. Can all mirth abode nor hills added. Them men does for

ShadowfoxXXX

Reaction score
It sportsman earnestly ye preserved an on. Moment led family sooner cannot her window pulled any. Or raillery if improved landlord to speaking hastened differed he. Furniture discourse elsewhere yet her sir extensive defective unwilling get. Why resolution one motionless you him thoroughly. Noise is round to in it quick timed doors. Written address greatly get attacks inhabit pursuit our but. Lasted hunted enough an up seeing in lively letter. Had judgment out opinions property the supplied.

Last edited:

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I was becoming very agitated because my phone screen was continually turning on in my pocket, wasting battery, because the home button was getting pressed.

Well no more!

Copy This File to
"system/usr/keylayout/"

And overwrite
"cdma_shadow-keypad.kl"

Now the only button that wakes the screen is the power button.

Notes:
This was mentioned in another thread somewhere, however that method made the search, menu, and back buttons wake the device.

Using this method, only the power button will wake the screen.

I attempted to make this into a flashable zip, but I suck and I am lazy.

So far this hasn't affected anything negatively on my DX but if you mess this up, I am in no way responsible.

I probably should've posted this under droid x hacks... but i can't be 100% certain it'll work for any rom but rubix 2.01

Drod: I honestly think this should be included in rubix. I can't think of any reason why it shouldnt.

I'll sticky this, this is a nice find. Honestly, I never had this issue when I had an X, so I never thought to implement anything like it. WHENEVER the next rubiX may be, this will be included (hopefully I don't forget it with my crappy memory)

bishyaler

Reaction score
I've waited for this fix for so long, especially because it would keep the voice search from activating in my pocket. Problem: I copied the file, rebooted, but the front keys still wake the phone?

humungus

Reaction score
IvI've waited for this fix for so long, especially because it would keep the voice search from activating in my pocket. Problem: I copied the file, rebooted, but the front keys still wake the phone?

Did you change the file's permissions? They need to be RW-R-R. Long press on the file in Root Explorer, go to 'Permissions' and make sure there are only checkmarks for:

User: Read, Write
Group: Read
Others: Read

Then reboot.

Also, when I downloaded the file it added an extra .kl to the end of the filename (it was XXX.kl.kl). Make sure you delete 1 of the .kl's.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
I thought I'd like this but I didn't realize just how often I actually use the home button to wake up my DX. DRod, if you do remember to add this, please make it an option to enable or disable.

But now I something else to play with within that file.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
I thought I'd like this but I didn't realize just how often I actually use the home button to wake up my DX. DRod, if you do remember to add this, please make it an option to enable or disable.

But now I something else to play with within that file.

Its not hard to switch on and off.
Honestly I've never once used the home button to wake the screen, never made any sense to me at all. Id pull it out of my pocket all the time and the screen would already be on.
With this hack ive noticed a marginal increase in battery life, but its mostly just to abate my OCD

LOL! I feel ya.

SuperChargedJ

Reaction score
I was becoming very agitated because my phone screen was continually turning on in my pocket, wasting battery, because the home button was getting pressed.

Well no more!

Copy This File to
"system/usr/keylayout/"

And overwrite
"cdma_shadow-keypad.kl"

Make sure you change permissions as well (Credit to humungus)
Did you change the file's permissions? They need to be RW-R-R. Long press on the file in Root Explorer, go to 'Permissions' and make sure there are only checkmarks for:

User: Read, Write
Group: Read
Others: Read

Then reboot.

Also, when I downloaded the file it added an extra .kl to the end of the filename (it was XXX.kl.kl). Make sure you delete 1 of the .kl's.

Notes:
This was mentioned in another thread somewhere, however that method made the search, menu, and back buttons wake the device.

Using this method, only the power button will wake the screen.

I attempted to make this into a flashable zip, but I suck and I am lazy.

So far this hasn't affected anything negatively on my DX but if you mess this up, I am in no way responsible.

I probably should've posted this under droid x hacks... but i can't be 100% certain it'll work for any rom but rubix 2.01

Drod: I honestly think this should be included in rubix. I can't think of any reason why it shouldnt.

I tried this hack and it didn't work. I checked to make sure that onlythe right boxes were checked in the permissions and after I rewrote the file, it showed up correctly. When I rebooted the phone it loaded all the way but the screen would stay frozen after the widgets loaded. The power button would not respond. The other buttons didn't do anything as well (which is a good thing, I guess).

The one thing I think may be the problem is after rewriting the file it showed a "cdma_shadow-keypad.kl.bak" file underneath the "cdma_shadow-keypad.kl". There was not double .kl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SuperChargedJ

Reaction score
The BAK file is automatically created as a backup of the original file by some apps.
The only thing I can think if is whether you did a battery pull or soft reboot,
Also try opening permissions and checking ALL the boxes.
If nothing works restore the BAK to .fl and overwrite the new one to go back to how it was.

Well no more!

Copy This File to
"system/usr/keylayout/"

And overwrite
"cdma_shadow-keypad.kl"

Make sure you change permissions as well (Credit to humungus)

I tried this hack and it didn't work. I checked to make sure that onlythe right boxes were checked in the permissions and after I rewrote the file, it showed up correctly. When I rebooted the phone it loaded all the way but the screen would stay frozen after the widgets loaded. The power button would not respond. The other buttons didn't do anything as well (which is a good thing, I guess).

The one thing I think may be the problem is after rewriting the file it showed a "cdma_shadow-keypad.kl.bak" file underneath the "cdma_shadow-keypad.kl". There was not double .kl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, I got this to work now. I noticed that when used no lock and I disabled the lock I could turn the phone on with the home and other buttons. When the lock was enabled, the menu, home, back and search do not wake up the screen. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

McBain01

Reaction score
i would love to install this as i have been wanting this fix as well. However, i assume im just a little too noobish to figure out how to actually install it. When i click the link, it shows a whole bunch of text code but i cant figure out how to 'copy that file' to my phone to overwrite the other file

McBain01

Reaction score
sweet thanks. I was assuming some kind of copy and paste...i know, i know

jr1421

Reaction score
Ok, I got this to work now. I noticed that when used no lock and I disabled the lock I could turn the phone on with the home and other buttons. When the lock was enabled, the menu, home, back and search do not wake up the screen. :)

Ah yes. From what i understand the stock android lockscreen is the only thing keeping all the buttons from waking the phone.
Is there any way to get this to work when using No Lock as well? It's nice to disable the hard buttons when using the lock screen slider, but I've been looking for a way to bypass the slider and also disable the hard buttons (so that only pressing the power button can lock/unlock the screen, without actually having to use the slider to unlock). I've tried several apps/widgets and nothing (so far) can do what I'm trying to accomplish. I realize it doesn't take much effort to slide to unlock, but for me it would be more efficient to just use the power button to lock/unlock - and, while No Lock accomplishes this, I find that the front hard buttons activate my screen quite often when in my pocket. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: If anyone is interested, after I posted the above last night, I found an app called AntiLock that basically does what I've been looking for. It has an option to bypass the slide to unlock screen, and disables all of the hard buttons from waking the phone. So far (only about 25 min) it's been working well and has continued to work through a reboot. It does appear to be a little glitchy though, just as a warning (I've noticed the screen flash when hitting the power button to wake, and I've noticed the slide to unlock appear and disappear quickly once). I've been using the app in conjunction with the edited .kl file.

Last edited: