Creating a Simple Droid App

rockylreed

Reaction score
Is it complicated to take a .PDF and turn it into a Droid App? All I want the app to do is open a PDF file and allow you to scroll through the pages, zoom in/out. I have the PDF file but do not know where to start. I would also like the app icon to be the first page (cover) of the PDF file. Any help is greatly appreciated!

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Go to the market on your phone and search PDF.
There are a few there.

OP
R

rockylreed

Reaction score
All I see are apps to read pdf's. Can you provide an example of one that will convert a .pdf to a .apk file? I want users to be able to download the app I create from the market and read it like a book.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Oh I wasn't sure what you meant, don't know how to do that. Sorry.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

tonydelite

Reaction score
I understand what you are trying to do, but I don't understand why. Why not just let people download the PDF and they can read it in the viewer of their choice?

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea what you want to accomplish seems to have no additional value to just having an app to read pdfs, or having a shortcut to the file you want on the homescreen

OP
R

rockylreed

Reaction score
It would add value as the file is currently a pdf of my company's catalog (standard products). A user could download the catalog from our website as a .apk file instead of the current pdf and have it as an icon on their phone. How hard would this be to do?

pyro6128

Reaction score
But they can download it and put a shortcut on their desktop that would allow them to have an icon. It seems like unnecessary effort. What you could do perhaps, since I'm assuming you have a website based on what you say, is have an app that basically serves as a portal for you website. There are a lot of apps that do that, and it would probably be easier to be honest. To make want you would have to have a pdf reader built into the app, which could be difficult to build from scratch. If you could make your pdf viewable online, where you don't have to download it, then having an app for your website would accomplish all that you want, with added functionality.

OP
R

rockylreed

Reaction score
Here is the link to the pdf.

http://www.zeusinc.com/UserFiles/zeusinc/Documents/Zeus_Cat11 RevF.pdf

Is there a way to create a shortcut that is downloadable? I was hoping to create a file that could be put on the website that could be downloaded and would create an icon. When clicking on the icon, I want the catalog to open and be able to read. Any ideas?