Crazy fast 3g wifi tether

ænyoc

Reaction score
Was visiting relatives about an hour outside San Francisco and twice got crazy fast 3g speeds while using wifi tether 3.1-pre111. Mind you, this is not a 4g area. Both times it happened it lasted about 15-20 minutes. Once was Saturday night, the other Sunday afternoon. Here's a screenshot of Sunday's speed.

View attachment 44913

This is about 5-6 times faster than my usual 3g tether speeds... Christmas present from big red?

Side note - this happened the first time just after I downloaded 3.1-pre111. Maybe there's some goodies inside? (Pure speculation, of course)

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
that's odd.....even says 3g lol.

Welp can't complain I guess?

OP
ænyoc

ænyoc

Reaction score
No kidding. I was definitely outside
4g range... by about 30mi. Even went to a VZW store to ask about 4g in the area and the rep said not unless I'm just outside San Francisco.

Survivor of the Great 2011 Verizon Google Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Debacle and proud owner of a Galaxy Nexus and Original Droid 1/Milestone. Sent from my Sexy Lexus Galaxy Nexus.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Not too surprising, since I've also seen pretty fast 3G tether speeds. Hit up to 1400kbps on my D2G at one point, just seeing how fast I could push it. Tested it in the Boston area.

OP
ænyoc

ænyoc

Reaction score
Not too surprising, since I've also seen pretty fast 3G tether speeds. Hit up to 1400kbps on my D2G at one point, just seeing how fast I could push it. Tested it in the Boston area.

I've never hit over 600 before. Most of the time I'm in the 3-400range. Been tethering with my OGD for over a year and was for a week with the nexus before that happened. Now I'm back home with cable and 4g, but I'll be playing with it next time I'm in a 3g area.

bryantjopplin

Reaction score
i converted it and it is
14.580469 mbps not bad when my fasted on 3g was 2.5 mbps. lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

baldybill

Reaction score
I'm using this, and for some reason it only works for about 30 minutes and then stops.
The app looks like it's running, but my PC doesn't see it.

I had used it on my OG Droid and had no problems.
I am NOT running any tasker or battery saver type programs that could conflict with the settings.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Was visiting relatives about an hour outside San Francisco and twice got crazy fast 3g speeds while using wifi tether 3.1-pre111. Mind you, this is not a 4g area. Both times it happened it lasted about 15-20 minutes. Once was Saturday night, the other Sunday afternoon. Here's a screenshot of Sunday's speed.

View attachment 44913

This is about 5-6 times faster than my usual 3g tether speeds... Christmas present from big red?

Side note - this happened the first time just after I downloaded 3.1-pre111. Maybe there's some goodies inside? (Pure speculation, of course)

baldybill

Reaction score
Today I got it to go for about 5 hours before it dropped the connection.

Could it be that my connection drops when the phone attempts to go to 1x?
Or could it be some other fluke like that?

Do we suppose a future update (radio, 4.0.3, etc) will fix it?

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Down here in South MS I'm always hitting about 1400-1700 tethering

a "slow day" is like 1200kpbs

I thought that was normal......when I had to do a lot of traveling on the weekends I'd stream PPVs online w/my phone

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
i converted it and it is
14.580469 mbps not bad when my fasted on 3g was 2.5 mbps. lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

howd you calculate? speeds are confusing to convert as you can see from this, there are many very similar ones

i calculated it to be 1.866 mbps...i regularly get 2.5-3 mbps on my D1 on wifi tethering which would equal 2500-3000 kbps...btw wifi tether (at least the on on the D1) automatically converts kbps to mbps when it gets to about 2000 kbps...just an fyi

breedingh8

Reaction score
howd you calculate? speeds are confusing to convert as you can see from this, there are many very similar ones

i calculated it to be 1.866 mbps...i regularly get 2.5-3 mbps on my D1 on wifi tethering which would equal 2500-3000 kbps...btw wifi tether (at least the on on the D1) automatically converts kbps to mbps when it gets to about 2000 kbps...just an fyi

The quickest ghetto way to calculate Mbps to MB/s is if you have a 50Mbps line dived 50 by 8 and you have 6.25MB/s.. It's ghetto cause it should be 1024, so I have a 50Mbps connection but I download all day at 6.3MB/s and finally ghetto mbps to KB/s... 1 Mbps = 1000 kbps = 0.125 MB/s = 125 KB/s roughly... Make sense? Im really high right now

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
The quickest ghetto way to calculate Mbps to MB/s is if you have a 50Mbps line dived 50 by 8 and you have 6.25MB/s.. It's ghetto cause it should be 1024, so I have a 50Mbps connection but I download all day at 6.3MB/s and finally ghetto mbps to KB/s... 1 Mbps = 1000 kbps = 0.125 MB/s = 125 KB/s roughly... Make sense? Im really high right now

its because mpbs refers to megaBITS per second while MB/s refers to megaBYTES per second
same way with kbps (kiloBITS per second) and KB/s (kiloBYTES per second)

Wikipedia on what a byte is:
The byte ( /ˈbaɪt/) is a unit of digital information in computing and telecommunications that most commonly consists of eight bits. Historically, a byte was the number of bits used to encode a single character of text in a computer[1][2] and for this reason it is the basic addressable element in many computer architectures.

breedingh8

Reaction score
its because mpbs refers to megaBITS per second while MB/s refers to megaBYTES per second
same way with kbps (kiloBITS per second) and KB/s (kiloBYTES per second)

Wikipedia on what a byte is:

You don't say... LOL I wasn't explaining it to myself but thanks

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't say... LOL I wasn't explaining it to myself but thanks

well i think we get the conversions lol but this is for anyone that doesnt get that mbps are just kbps/1000 (note the times and amount of data used)(like i said, idk about any other wifi tethers but the one for the OG droid automatically converts kbps to mbps at about 1960 kbps)

first
View attachment 45728

second
View attachment 45729