Crazy battery drain

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've been having crazy battery drain all day today. I've had to fully charge my phone twice since I took it off the charger at full charge this morning. and now its almost dead again. I have no idea why this is happening. I haven't used my phone much. I've sent a few dozen texts cause of everything that went down on campus today and checkeda few dozen emails. pretty normal use. I downloaded a few of the 10 cent apps this morning and got a couple updates including facebook. however when i check battery usage, it says ~85% of it is the android system. any idea what's going on? tried rebooting too btw.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

nikecar

Reaction score
1. Are you at Virginia tech
2. Do you use Google music

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
1. Are you at Virginia tech
2. Do you use Google music

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.
yes, but what does that have to do with my battery drain

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea at all?

lizard

Reaction score
My Android system typicaly uses about 3-5% of total. Do you use a task killer? If you do, get rid of it before you do anything else and see if that helps. Are you overclocking or on a custom rom, or is you phone stock? Froyo or Gingerbread? What apps did you download? You may have to uninstall them all and put them back on a couple at a time.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

lizard

Reaction score
You could also have a bad battery. OG Droid batteries work in the Droid 2. Maybe you can swap it with a good battery and verify. I don't know if a verizon store can check your battery or not to see if its good. Does the phone feel like its running hot while off the charger?

gthotie5

Reaction score
It could be a bad app.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
My Android system typicaly uses about 3-5% of total. Do you use a task killer? If you do, get rid of it before you do anything else and see if that helps. Are you overclocking or on a custom rom, or is you phone stock? Froyo or Gingerbread? What apps did you download? You may have to uninstall them all and put them back on a couple at a time.

I'm overclocked to 1.1Ghz, but it happens on default settings too. also on stock rooted GB. I use a task killer. but all of this has been the case for like 6 months now, and I've never had problems until today. I didn't change any settings in any programs or the OS...I really don't use my phone for much more than email and internet now.

As far as it being a result of the new apps, is that even a possibility? I don't really know how android works since I'm not in computer science. but in the battery stats list, its also lists app usage. so if I had a rogue app stealing my battery life, wouldn't the system say it was that app and not the android system?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
You could also have a bad battery. OG Droid batteries work in the Droid 2. Maybe you can swap it with a good battery and verify. I don't know if a verizon store can check your battery or not to see if its good. Does the phone feel like its running hot while off the charger?

I thought about that. this actually is a D1 battery. I got the D2 through warranty exchange after going through 5 D1s, but they didn't give me a new battery. it was running a little hot... Like around 105. that's probably pretty hot for not using it lol. i don't havea spare to test with either :/