Cover for the S4

shadesofthesun

Reaction score
I bought the S4 last week from Verizon and I had them put the wireless cover on the back for a pad charger.
My question, is there a cover/case out there I can buy for this S4 now that it's a tad thicker. I can't find one. I also don't want it to interfere with the charging ability.

Edit: I apologize I should have put this thread in accessories.

Thanks

THEPRFCT1

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but check out Urban Armor Gear.

OP
shadesofthesun

shadesofthesun

Reaction score
Looks like I may be limited. I'll check out the defender series, thanks

bbtkd

Reaction score
Looks like I may be limited. I'll check out the defender series, thanks

Don't think you'll find one. I too bought the Samsung wireless charging cover only to find no case will fit. I ended up returning it and instead bought a Qi receiver sticker on ebay that is only .5mm thick and fits under the stock cover. It does make it bulge a bit so when I put my Seidio Surface case on it slightly bulges it and makes it harder to remove, but works fine. The receiver works well with either the Samsung charger or an aftermarket one.

One thing they don't tell you is that wireless charging receivers - whether Samsung or third party like mine - can cook the battery if you leave it on the charger too long after it is charged. Though the phone is smart enough to stop charging the battery, the inductive coil which sits right against the battery continues to collect power from the pad, make heat, and will cook your battery. After months of use, one guy on these forums woke up to a non functioning phone with a badly bulging case. He found the battery had bulged badly. Luckily a new battery fixed the problem for him. Since I charge mine while I sleep, I now pull it off the charger the first time I roll over at night - or I try to remember to.

OP
shadesofthesun

shadesofthesun

Reaction score
Well that stinks. Just worry this S4 slides out of your hand easy and on drop it's toast. I traded up to edge with this phone so maybe the S5 will solve some of these issues.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Well that stinks. Just worry this S4 slides out of your hand easy and on drop it's toast. I traded up to edge with this phone so maybe the S5 will solve some of these issues.

Hopefully they've built wireless charging into the S5 and kept it skinny. The fix for the cooking of the battery is a redesign of the electronics in the Qi receiver and pad so they talk, and when the phone is charged the receiver can tell the pad to shut off.

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
After months of use, one guy on these forums woke up to a non functioning phone with a badly bulging case. He found the battery had bulged badly. Luckily a new battery fixed the problem for him.

I think that was me. Now I've noticed when the phone is fully charged, there' a little notice that pops up to remove it from the charger. I do. I no long leave it on the charger more than necessary. It will bow out.

jtcsifl

Reaction score
I had the wireless charging back on mine for a bit & an Otterbox Commuter fit over it properly.

bbtkd

Reaction score
With the Samsung wireless charger, a third party .5mm thick "sticker/receiver" from Ebay, stock back cover and Seidio Surface case (without kickstand), I found that I had to have the phone in a very specific position on the charger. Plastic/rubber case material won't attenuate the charging field appreciably, but the distance increase will. While I can get my Samsung charger to work, I bought a higher power Qi charger on Ebay, and this works much better than the Samsung. The brand is Much-Buy and is rated for up to a 10mm gap, more than enough for the thickest cases. So that's what I'd advise over the Samsung cover and charger.