Could CDMA eventually become a major crutch for Verizon?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in this thread, but then thought it could make for some decent discussion... or at the very least someone could come in and say 'you're an idiot b/c you don't know anything, here's the real deal...' ;)

I have a bit of a theory that is pure speculation... I wonder at times if the fact that 80% (I think that's an official number?) of the world's wireless carriers use GSM scares Verizon a bit, and that's one reason they've poured so much into their CDMA being the best, and now their LTE being by far the biggest. I also wonder if that's factored in to AT&T's apparent (at least previously) complacency in the marketplace. The world is becoming so much more connected and "globalized", and (correct me if I'm wrong) when you're overseas, you can pretty much travel from country to country without much hassle and continued wireless service. (again, I could be wrong about that) The US companies, at least the two big ones, have to see that as something that will come to a head in the future, I would think anyway. Add to that things like Google basically not officially (though supposedly not forgetting about) supporting their CDMA Nexus phones b/c of binaries in some config files for the CDMA network, and it makes one (maybe I'm the only 'one' :)) wonder if CDMA is going to eventually be a crutch, holding back Verizon. Maybe this is not an issue... maybe it's something that could be an issue, but technology will surpass this well before it becomes a problem... who knows. Maybe it's not a problem at all b/c most people won't be affected by this and I'm overthinking how globalized we are. Regardless, the whole field and wireless industry, business dynamics, etc., fascinates me and so I thought I'd pour some thoughts out here for discussion.

Keep in mind I know just enough to be dangerous, and not enough about anything honestly. I could be overlooking some factors that I'm completely ignorant about, but that's one reason I posted, to learn more as well...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you're an idiot because you don't know....nah jk

I personally think CDMA has been a crutch ever since LTE came out. I can't locate the article now, but I read awhile back that CDMA to LTE handoff (you mentioned in another thread) has a harder time between these two type of networks compared to GSM and LTE. GSM is also easier to work with from what I've heard and considering the rest of the world seems to be using it, of course Google is going to favor GSM, even though Verizon really made Android mainstream with the OG Droid.

As a nexus owner, I feel (or at what I can remember) that we had more support from Google with the OG Droid than we do our Nexus/Nexii. This could be due to the fact that the Nexus released on GSM networks first, but to be honest, I feel Verizon's Nexus is neglected. Sure we had an update right out the box, but that really didn't fix any issues that many of us have (lucky I don't). It's been 4 months since the phones release and we have yet to hear official word of an update coming. Now the OG Droid released years ago, and I don't remember the dates of the updates, but I do recall them being a bit faster. I know that there are leaked radios, but some users like to remain stock, heck I'm on 4.0.2 radios still with the ROM I'm using.

Verizon's choice of CDMA was made long ago, and it is very reliable, but because it's seems so difficult to work on, it ends up being a crutch and we're seeing it already. However, much like jnt, I could be ignorant about it, but from what I read I think I got the gist of it

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well, the one think that Verizon claims to have over all of the other carriers out there is Reliable Service.
I'm thinking that GSM would not be so reliable.

CDMA vs. GSM, which one is the best for you?

this link you posted is seriously out of date since its from January of 2007. Most of the info is irrelevant and there have been significant changes to both CDMA and GSM since this.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was a long time customer with AT&T before I made the switch to Verizon a few years back. I NEVER had a dropped call with them. I can't rate their data as I didn't have a smartphone til I picked up the OG Droid, but they were very reliable and their customer service was just as good as Verizon's.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I was merely stating my opinion about it. I pulled the article after I posted my opinion on the matter. However, even tho it's old doesn't mean it's wrong. Find something more recent and jump in to contribute instead of critique.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Well Dez, your on a different coast then I am. NY happens to not get the greatest service with any GSM carriers. But I hear that Verizon is solid from coast to coast.

Maybe others in other parts of the country can elaborate. :biggrin:

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had good service with AT&T, but in the Dallas area most carriers are solid. However, the few times we've traveled, Verizon's 3G was rock solid, even in some VERY remote, mountainous areas. I haven't traveled outside of DFW since having a LTE phone, so can't really speak on that...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well Dez, your on a different coast then I am. NY happens to not get the greatest service with any GSM carriers. But I hear that Verizon is solid from coast to coast.

Maybe others in other parts of the country can elaborate. :biggrin:
Yup depends all on location. I was a very happy AT&T customer and am currently a happy Verizon customer. :hail: