Correct Password Not Being Accepted

chicksmom

Reaction score
I left my charger at work over the weekend, so my phone was down to 12% before I turned it off. When I got it plugged in upon getting into the office, it did not recognize my password, which I know to be correct. I have tried multiple times (after trying to restart and also use safe mode, neither of which worked.

After my last attempt (while in safe mode), I got a message that if I don't enter the correct password within the hour, I will be locked out! Why on earth would this happen and how can I address it quickly?

Thank you.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
What phone is it? If you backed up the photos, why not just FDR?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

OP
C

chicksmom

Reaction score
It is a Moto Z Play. I'd like to avoid a factory reset, as there are text messages I will lose which have important information.
I'd also like to know why this happened so I can be sure to avoid it in the future. Very frustrating -- I have fingerprint recognition, but I have to put in the PIN (again, I am using the correct PIN) after a restart for my fingerprint to work -- makes no sense.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So which part is not working, entering the lock screen PIN? Or do you have a lock screen password? I'm a little confused, you mention password while in Safe Mode which would indicate you are already passed the lock screen and in the phone. Or are you saying your Google account password is not being accepted once you are passed the lock screen?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
C

chicksmom

Reaction score
I don't know how, but there was a "Safe Mode" box on my screen at the same time as the PIN prompt. Neither worked. I went ahead and restored to factory settings, as I don't think there was any other way to get back in. Just very strange.

Thanks both for responding.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that you had to factory reset, and probably lose some data that wasn't backed up. At least you are back in now and it's working again. Just something to think about, since phones can crash & fail at any time....if I receive something important in a text message I copy & paste that into a notepad style app that syncs online so I never lose it; like Color Note, Evernote, Google Keep, etc. That way those notes sync with any phone when I sign in my my Google account and I can see all the info I saved from texts, or other notes & data from whatever source.

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you had to factory reset, and probably lose some data that wasn't backed up. At least you are back in now and it's working again. Just something to think about, since phones can crash & fail at any time....if I receive something important in a text message I copy & paste that into a notepad style app that syncs online so I never lose it; like Color Note, Evernote, Google Keep, etc. That way those notes sync with any phone when I sign in my my Google account and I can see all the info I saved from texts, or other notes & data from whatever source.
Yep, that's why I have certain files in my phone auto backup to my NAS when I jump on my home's wifi. I'm also a staunch supporter of having a phone that uses an SD card. EVERYTHING I make/do/save goes on that.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep, that's why I have certain files in my phone auto backup to my NAS when I jump on my home's wifi. I'm also a staunch supporter of having a phone that uses an SD card. EVERYTHING I make/do/save goes on that.

I agree with everything except the SD Card. I have had two fail unexpectedly for no reason over the years and all data was corrupt. I have since become a firm believer in backing up to the cloud, and apps that sync my data so I can login to that app from any phone and see my saved stuff

Einsteindks

Reaction score
SD is not an absolute, stop-gap measute, for sure. I've had a few fry up on me, to. Still, better than totally relying on putting everything on the phone memory. OTG was popular for a while. Great idea, but never really caught on big time. Personal clouds based at home are the best.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
SD is not an absolute, stop-gap measute, for sure. I've had a few fry up on me, to. Still, better than totally relying on putting everything on the phone memory. OTG was popular for a while. Great idea, but never really caught on big time. Personal clouds based at home are the best.

True, good points.