Copy widgets from stock ROM to custom ROM

hellmonkey

Reaction score
I have astro and I was backing up some of my starwars widgets from the system/app folder. Can I grab other widgets that have the partner .odex file? Can I copy the odex file to the custom rom, then install the apk there? There a couple of widgets I really like that I cant find on the store.

illmatic636

Reaction score
What Home Launcher are you using? I believe it should work with ADW, but not supported in LauncherPro. Rather than installing the apk's maybe you should push them in through ADB or use Rootexplorer and fix the permissions in them when you drop them into system/app

OP
hellmonkey

hellmonkey

Reaction score
What Home Launcher are you using? I believe it should work with ADW, but not supported in LauncherPro. Rather than installing the apk's maybe you should push them in through ADB or use Rootexplorer and fix the permissions in them when you drop them into system/app

Im new to this, so you will have to tell me what a home launcher is. I have astro and appinstaller, thats it. Or are you talking about the rom manager? For that I have fission rom manager lite.

illmatic636

Reaction score
No worries, you home launcher is a program you use to manage your home screen and all of your apps. ADW and LauncherPro are the most common used besides the stock home launcher you probably still have. Disregard my last response. What you want to do is go into the market and download Titanium Backup. This will allow you to backup your widgets from one rom, and restore them into a different Rom(custom) whichever. Give it a try. Astro is basically good for just being a file explorer, not so much as a back up utility.

Let me know if that works for you.

And backup your current setup before doing anything.

OP
hellmonkey

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Cool, downloading titanium now. I made a backup of the factory image before I started doing any of this. I put fission on this morning and I loved how fast it was, but there were some widgets that I didnt want not have. hopefully this works. Thanks for the help.

illmatic636

Reaction score
No problem. Good luck. By the way, if you have MotoBlur, you may be stuck with the widgets that you have. Just a heads up. Many people who own D2 or Dx want to get rid of MotoBlur for that same reason. They hate the widgets. You may ant to look at Roms that are Blurless or Straight Froyo, or even Gingerbread. Liberty seems to be the favorite in the forums.

Good luck. I'm on the D1 otherwise I'd be more helpful.

OP
hellmonkey

hellmonkey

Reaction score
Im in the middle of installing liberty right now. Im playing around with them to see what I like.