Cool New Kickstarter Project Rhino Shield Aims to Protect Our Displays from Impact

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
project-rhino-hammer-stomp.jpg

After finding this amazing new project over on Kickstarter, we just had to share it. A company called Evolutive Labs is developing a new transparent cover for our mobile device displays that goes far beyond protecting them from just scratches. It's called Rhino Shield and it aims to protect the display on our smartphones and tablets from heavy impact, including being dropped or hit with a hammer!

Here's a brief tidbit of their product description,

What is Rhino Shield

RhinoShield is a patent pending and custom formulated polymer created by our team. This polymer offers extraordinary impact absorption and excellent transparency. Rhino Shield is designed to be used in conjunction with the any case, or on its own.

Thin and Transparent is just Rhino Shield appearance. Silky smooth is its skin texture.

Impact Resistance Our specially designed shock-absorption layer can oppose many types of impacts. Any scenario that you may encounter in your everyday lives.

The bottom line is their product adds a layer of shock and impact protection that anyone would be glad to have, even if you rarely drop your device. Be sure to hit up the source link below to see their video demonstration and pledge some funds if you are so inclined. Hopefully it will live up to its promise and get bought up by a large scale manufacturer.

Source: Kickstarter - Rhino Shield

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

my thoughts exactly. It bugged me that in their video, they always peeled something off after the test. What did they peel off? Does their stuff not protect against scratches so they were cleverly covering that up a bit? I've dropped all my phones from about 4 feet up and most of the time they survived, but I have also had to buy a digitizer off amazon a time or two too. So many variables go into whether or not the glass will break when dropped, a simple ball bearing test doesn't do.

So, I'll reitterate what xeene said. Meh...

52brandon

Reaction score
good thing everybody donated to destroy perfectly fine iPhones for that video...
my thoughts exactly. It bugged me that in their video, they always peeled something off after the test. What did they peel off? Does their stuff not protect against scratches so they were cleverly covering that up a bit? I've dropped all my phones from about 4 feet up and most of the time they survived, but I have also had to buy a digitizer off amazon a time or two too. So many variables go into whether or not the glass will break when dropped, a simple ball bearing test doesn't do.

I thought that was obvious. It was the cover. It protected the phone from the impact and scratches just fine, but it seemed to ruin the actual cover in every test. So I would hope they have local installers and a good warranty, but I doubt it

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hah. I didn't even think about the fact that by only using iPhones they were saving wonderful Android devices for other use =p

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think what they were peeling off was the Rhino Shield..... That and the last clip at the site showed them putting it on an iPhone... Its basically supposed to be a very strong screen protector.

It did look like it the protector was getting damaged by the knife and pick. The clip with just the Gorilla glass on that machine...being shattered without Rhino... seems like they need a way to rub and get rid of the knife and pick marks.

I dont use screen protectors, havent since 2010...is this any different than whats out now? I know everything from the Kickstarter Project isnt gonna be good, but this could be nice if it really is different than whats out now.

Last edited:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
the last clip is what turned me off. if they wanted to make a statement they should have put on a protector on iphone and took a hammer to it to make a point, but i'm pretty sure they knew what the end result would have been.

another thing that bothers me is they state to be based from uk, yet when i check registration of evolutivelabs.com it belongs to chingfu wang from taichung, taiwan.

things that make you go hmm...

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score

you seriously can't be that daft?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
the last clip is what turned me off. if they wanted to make a statement they should have put on a protector on iphone and took a hammer to it to make a point, but i'm pretty sure they knew what the end result would have been.

another thing that bothers me is they state to be based from uk, yet when i check registration of evolutivelabs.com it belongs to chingfu wang from taichung, taiwan.

things that make you go hmm...
Did you watch the video?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yup, and that's why I'm skeptical. Only real video I saw was them applying protector on the phone, the first one was too good to be true.

jeems

Reaction score

"Thin and Transparent is just Rhino Shield appearance. Silky smooth is its skin texture.

Impact Resistance Our specially designed shock-absorption layer can oppose many types of impacts. Any scenario that you may encounter in your everyday lives."

This certainly reads like a typical chinese translation.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
But...what if I am? But seriously, what is tough without being scratch resistant. Why not leave the little plastic sticky off and do the test. It felt deceptive.

It might be in development still... Mayhap the scratch resistance isn't that great yet either way who knows what we'll get if /when they get it up and running. If be down for a screen protector like this and who knows maybe it could help with super resistant screen tech in the future.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet RAZR MAXX.