Convince me to remain with an Android phone.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
So, my Droid failed, and I thought I was going to stay with Android, but now I am not so sure.

I have some beefs with the Android OS, and in general, the way some things are done. I have looked at some other smartphones (I won't go near an iPhone, period) and I am wondering why I should remain with an Android phone. WinMo looks good, I have always wondered what a WinMo phone would be like. The other option is Nokia, as well as Blackberry.

What are my beefs with Android? First of all.. the market. Not the market itself, but the huge amount of crap apps that are in there. Shoddy, poorly programmed garbage, designed to make it's publisher a few quick bucks, or a method to spy on your phone. I have had more issues with Market apps than anything else. I get the whole "open source" thing...but, shouldn't there be some basic quality control available? At least a certification that the program runs properly? Yeah, with free apps, you get what you pay for, as it were, but even some apps that I (and friends/relatives) have paid for have caused problems with their devices. Then, there is the battery issues, and some hardware issues as well. I replaced my original Droid 3 or 4 times, because of hardware issues. I have factory reset more times than I can count, and I often wonder if I shouldn't move on to a platform that is more stable.

Moving on, however, means I have to give up the flexibility and openness of Android, and use someone else's locked down OS, that does only what they want it to do.

I like the BB form factor, and it seems easy to use. WinMo looks cool. but it is Microsoft, and as a computer tech/builder, I know all about MS quality....such as it is.

I need a new phone, and I am looking at the D2G...tell me why I should not leave Android. What is on the horizon for the OS that will make it better. Right not, nothing is appealing to me. So, convince me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you look around the Forum you will see everything that is new on the horizon. There's a whole lists of phones coming out, some already have their own areas. The Market is eventually going to be handled by Amazon.

But quite honestly if you're not happy with Android then maybe it's not the phone for you. It's not for everybody.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not sure you are going to get many to try and get you to stay. You go to BB you will be disappointed. You go to iphone and the next Android that's rooted comes around and you are going to be jealous just like all the idon't owners I know.

So....the choice is yours. You can always get a Voyager, Env Touch, Venus, Razor, and so on....and not have to worry about all this smart phone mumbo jumbo. I am sure I can dig up my Startac with the charger should you prefer. ;)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If you have to be convinced then Android is not for you.

It's sort of like dating or marrying a girl. If we have to convince you to date her or marry her she's not the one for you. I say move onto another woman : ) there are PLENTY of other good ones.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Convince me to remain with an Android phone.
Why? Threads like this always smack of laziness. If you can't care to do your own due diligence then why should the rest of us? Spend some time with the alternatives and see if they're better suited to you. Nothing beats first hand experience even if the experiences are bad (as long as you learn from them).

It's not my job to sell others the platform that I currently prefer. You seem to be more than capable of making your own pros and cons lists and evaluating the options on paper.

WinMo looks cool. but it is Microsoft, and as a computer tech/builder, I know all about MS quality....such as it is.
Don't judge things without experience. MS is MS but to blow off WP7 seems silly. Consider how Motorola was perceived before they released the Droid. Every company has its flaws and if you're not going to buy from one that does have flaws then you won't end up with anything.

If your perception of the various companies is more important than anything else then by all means use it as buying criteria but that seems like a big mistake unless you're looking to join the poseur crowd.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
I am always amazed at how little trouble I have with any part of my phone, my service or Android.

I am rooted, change/flash at least 3 new ROM's or Nandroids every couple days, constantly trying metamorph mods and adding/deleting modded apks and I have yet to have anything more than a blank screen scare.....and that was because I flashed a D2 mod by mistake.

I just don't get it....it's almost no fun because I don't have anything to complain about on the forums.....

spillner

Reaction score
I for one can see why you can be frustrated with the original Droid. I still have a D1 and wish I would have waited till better phones came out. This being my first smart phone I thought it was great and still do for the most part, but I have had some serious issues with the phones lack of responsiveness. I wish I had waited for an Incredible.

I think you would be happier with a new Android device, maybe a D2 or a Galaxy S. Play with one at the store. I wouldn't jump ship just yet, Android is always getting better.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Can smell it from here!!!
You want the IPhone, however, your not convinced yet.

Stay with what you have for now, by fall, you can jump on the IPhone 5 band wagon. Android is the future though. You will never be as close to your device and how it works as you are with Andy.

But hey, if you rather Steve Jobs that's your call. Good luck.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE my D2. I will admit I am considering a D3 when they are released but I have had my upgrade available for like 3 months on one line and the other is available in Sep. So I just don't know what to do.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
its your device. you should be content with it. others dont need to justify it.

caring what others think is more apple's mind set.

*DroidForums app DOES*

sc4fpse

Reaction score
you need an iphone

I agree. If you need other people to tell you what to do, then bust out your best sheep costume and head down to the nearest Apple store. Good riddance.

Natey2

Reaction score
It's sort of like dating or marrying a girl.

You are right.
People try and get the best for the lowest price, then they trade up when a new model comes around.
Just like dating :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App