Controlling Data Manager

Reaction score
I have been trying to conserve my battery by keeping my Background Data and Data Enabled unchecked until I need them, and although it has been very successful, I have two problems: It takes 20 seconds for these two options to come up after tapping Data Manager in Settings...way too long a wait...and I have failed to find widget (tried Data Enabler and Data Widget) to see if I could cut the time to activate and deactivate these settings. Questions: 1) Is it normal to take 20 seconds to get to those settings? 2) Is there a widget that will do the job? 3) If I enter airplane mode, is data and background data off, even though they are still checked?

leftspin

Reaction score
If you're on the stock ROM, it should have come with a working data widget unless they removed that in some recent update

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm rooted, but still on Froyo...have never installed a ROM. Does it take you 20 seconds to get to toggle your data settings?

Last edited:

leftspin

Reaction score
I'm rooted, but still on Froyo...have never installed a ROM. Does it take you 20 seconds to get to toggle your data settings?

I'm on CM4DX GB and I have a data toggle on my power control widget that works so it takes me about 1 second to turn my data on and off

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm on CM4DX GB and I have a data toggle on my power control widget that works so it takes me about 1 second to turn my data on and off
What is CM4DX GB, is it a ROM?

Last edited:

Bmac397

Reaction score
Have you tried DateSwitch? Thats what im currently using to toggle off my data when i don't need it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
S
Reaction score
Just tried two versions, but they don't seem to work on the DX. I wouldn't mind going into settings to do it, I just don't like the 20 second wait...but it looks like I'm stuck with it!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Personally, I need my phone connected to data 24x7. I set up my girlfriend's stock Droid X really similarly to my Droid 3. The one difference is that she isn't on call so she has data shut off late at night via a custom battery profile. This thread has a bunch of things for you to think about and try: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/172871-another-battery-llife-issue.html

I would be careful of adding apps/widgets/etc. A good philosophy is to do without battery monitors, task killers, location automation software, etc. The way I use my Droid 3, I don't need such things as they do more harm than good. That being said, certain circumstances may warrant these types of addons. My suggestion to you is to try different methods out. Experiment and give different methods some time before deciding on what's right for you. Ultimately, your needs will dictate the battery saving path for you.

leftspin

Reaction score
I also got an app from the market a while back called SwitchPro Widget, I think it cost 99cents. It doesn't have a working data toggle but when you press the data toggle on it, it takes you directly to the menu where you enable and disable data. That would at least cut a little bit off the 20 seconds by bypassing the first couple menus

OP
S
Reaction score
I also got an app from the market a while back called SwitchPro Widget, I think it cost 99cents. It doesn't have a working data toggle but when you press the data toggle on it, it takes you directly to the menu where you enable and disable data. That would at least cut a little bit off the 20 seconds by bypassing the first couple menus
I actually have Switch Pro, and use it, but find when I toggle the sync or 3G, it doesn't seem to affect Background Data or Data Enabled when I check them through Settings. Same holds true for all the data switch apps.

leftspin

Reaction score
I actually have Switch Pro, and use it, but find when I toggle the sync or 3G, it doesn't seem to affect Background Data or Data Enabled when I check them through Settings. Same holds true for all the data switch apps.

In the SwitchPro settings, choose "data APN toggle" or something like that, it tells you about how on certain android versions it doesn't work and makes the toggle a shortcut to the setting instead

OP
S
Reaction score
In the SwitchPro settings, choose "data APN toggle" or something like that, it tells you about how on certain android versions it doesn't work and makes the toggle a shortcut to the setting instead
Appreciate the suggestion leftgspin, tried it, but it still didn't affect the Data Manager settings. When I tap on the sync icon, within SwitchPro, it says to first turn on Background Data...duh! I'l bet the DX is configured to discourage users from messing with data. I probably could override it if I could muster the courage to install some ROMS on it.

leftspin

Reaction score
Appreciate the suggestion leftgspin, tried it, but it still didn't affect the Data Manager settings. When I tap on the sync icon, within SwitchPro, it says to first turn on Background Data...duh! I'l bet the DX is configured to discourage users from messing with data. I probably could override it if I could muster the courage to install some ROMS on it.

I've never had a problem enabling and disabling data on my X, it's always worked with just pushing the toggle or unchecking data enabled in settings for me. The sync icon isn't going to do anything about activating or deactivating data, that isn't what it's for. The 3G data toggle is the one I'm talking about. Installing a ROM isn't hard, I'll explain how to do it if you want, and give you some links