Contacts list question.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
No need for windows my friend ;)
Just download the file (making sure it doesn't auto unzip), rename (making sure the name is right), mount your phone via usb, pust the newly renamed update.zip file in the root of your sdcard, boot into recovery, apply update.zip from your SDCard, and viola, root access....shortly followed by downloading rom manager and going crazy.

Really? All the guides I find say I need windows, need a bunch of programs, blah blah blah. Where can I get the update.zip file?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Nah, you only need RSD Lite, and it works for Mac if I'm not mistaken. Download SPRecovery, flash it to your phone as per the instructions all over the web, then download the rooted update.zip file to your sd cards root directory. Boot into recovery, apply the update, shazam....rooted

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Nah, you only need RSD Lite, and it works for Mac if I'm not mistaken. Download SPRecovery, flash it to your phone as per the instructions all over the web, then download the rooted update.zip file to your sd cards root directory. Boot into recovery, apply the update, shazam....rooted

maybe that's the part i needed windows for then. getting sprecovery to my phone. idk i'm gonna have to take a look into it again. so far though, my phone's not running TOO badly. it lags a little more than it used to but its bearable.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Great :D glad that softwards working out for you!

Yeah, as anyone here will tell you, read read read read before you decide to root, the more you know, the better...but dont let that intimidate you, its really just as easy as falling down stairs (and it feels a sight better too). Long story short, the only thing you need a computer for is flashing SPRecovery or Nandroid to your phone, once thats done you can download rom manager, and everything....quite literally everything...is automated and intuitive. ;)

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Great :D glad that softwards working out for you!

Yeah, as anyone here will tell you, read read read read before you decide to root, the more you know, the better...but dont let that intimidate you, its really just as easy as falling down stairs (and it feels a sight better too). Long story short, the only thing you need a computer for is flashing SPRecovery or Nandroid to your phone, once thats done you can download rom manager, and everything....quite literally everything...is automated and intuitive. ;)

yeah i've been reading. i don't wanna root because it's "the cool thing to do". yet there are a few features i'd love to do. i used to overclock my pc (when i had windows, with my macbook everything is still stock), so i would love to be able to overclock my droid. also wifi tethering is something that could really come in handy for me. besides that, i'd probably just stick with a rooted 2.1 stock, not even use any ROMs or anything. that's why i'm trying to decide if it's even worth it to root. i'll see how my phone runs for a few days using Dxtop, and if it's running slower than i can stand, i'll probably end up going to my uncle's house and using his PC if i can't get compatible software for my mac.

but thanks for all the help and info you gave me. i really appreciate it.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Just popped over to this thread to tell you your welcome and saw that you put screens up. Looks great :D And I saw where you changed the quick contacts names, very nice indeed. Always glad to be of assitance ;)

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Just popped over to this thread to tell you your welcome and saw that you put screens up. Looks great :D And I saw where you changed the quick contacts names, very nice indeed. Always glad to be of assitance ;)

:D thanks. yeah it's exactly what I wanted. just first names/nicknames there, but when they call, or in the contact list, it still shows full names, so i don't have to be confused cause i have like 3 sarah's and everything. and i guess my phones getting used to running Dxtop now, because it's not lagging AT ALL. it's running just like a stock droid would. so now i don't have to root cause i'm lagging. now i just have to root for the fun of it :p

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Very nice :D Take a look at my screens in my profile (I haven't added them to my sig yet) if you want to get a better idea of some of the mods you can do after rooting; and I've barely just begun