Contacts list question.

issues636

Reaction score
I have the Moto Droid. I like using first and last names, but I also wanna put nicknames or names I call people too, that would show up when they call, or when I add a contact to my homescreen, etc. I basically want my phone to work around the "nicknames" I put in, but still have full names in the contact file, just incase I need it.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Edit contact > scroll to the bottom > add nickname ;)

does that work?

I tried that already. But it still shows the full names on the homescreen. That's basically the main thing I want changed. I don't care if it shows the full names in the Contact List, or even when they call for that matter. But the main thing I want is only nicknames on the homescreen. I'm italian :D so everyone I know has long last names. lol. And it cuts them all off.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
o_O
it was worth a try? hm...
Not sure if theres an app out there that'll deliver what you want, and if I where you I wouldn't change the names in the contacts because then it'll create seperate instances of the same person because of the way sync correlates contact info by name...

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
o_O
it was worth a try? hm...
Not sure if theres an app out there that'll deliver what you want, and if I where you I wouldn't change the names in the contacts because then it'll create seperate instances of the same person because of the way sync correlates contact info by name...

Yeah that's why I don't really wanna change the contact name. Are there any apps that can maybe rename home screen icons or something that you know of?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Not that I know of, I just checked the market and googled for one, but to no avail :( If your contacts have pics then at least you've got that as an indicator.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Not that I know of, I just checked the market and googled for one, but to no avail :( If your contacts have pics then at least you've got that as an indicator.

Yeah it's not so much I can't read the name, I just think it makes it look bad being cut off. I do have pics but that's not really my main concern. I googled and all I really found was Dxtop allows you to rename home screen icons (idk if it'll work with the contacts). I'm thinking about checking it out to replace my HelixLauncher. I would have 24 hours to refund right? If it doesn't do what I want?

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Yes, 24 hrs.
I hate it when the name on icons gets cut off too :(
Let me know if it works

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Yes, 24 hrs.
I hate it when the name on icons gets cut off too :(
Let me know if it works

Will do. I was hoping for a free workaround, but I don't mind paying a little because it can help me do a few more things I wanted to do too. I was hoping to kind of black and white my icons on my homescreen, and it looks as though I can do that with Dxtop as well.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Just noticed your waiting on the sirius app, ever tried pandora? Its free, its internet radio, and its actually very intuitive. When you create a station it picks out other music that is along the same genre...

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Just noticed your waiting on the sirius app, ever tried pandora? Its free, its internet radio, and its actually very intuitive. When you create a station it picks out other music that is along the same genre...

I actually use both Pandora and Last.fm already. I love them, but I'm waiting for the sirius app more for the talk. Opie & Anthony and The Jason Ellis Show.

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Okay I WAS able to rename the contacts on my homescreen using Dxtop. It seems like this is doing almost everything I want, I just need to get used to it, and see if it slows down my phone too much. Looks like I'll be doing alot of testing the next 24 hours incase I wanna return it.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Great :D glad you found a solution. If speed is an issue there are ways to fix that ;)

I <3 root

OP
issues636

issues636

Reaction score
Great :D glad you found a solution. If speed is an issue there are ways to fix that ;)

I <3 root

Haha I would love to root my phone, yet I'm a mac user. It's a little harder for us. I'm looking and looking, just needa find a copy of Windows to partition onto my macbook =/

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
No need for windows my friend ;)
Just download the file (making sure it doesn't auto unzip), rename (making sure the name is right), mount your phone via usb, pust the newly renamed update.zip file in the root of your sdcard, boot into recovery, apply update.zip from your SDCard, and viola, root access....shortly followed by downloading rom manager and going crazy.