Contacts being labeled 'Unknown'

cramblock

Reaction score
Some of my contacts in my phone when added to favorites will show up as 'Unknown' in the favorites list. Or when I make a call to them instead of the name being shown while the call is ringing it says 'Unknown'. They are identical in every way to other contacts. I think it is only new contacts. I can't remember if any old contacts say this. I have tried deleting and re adding them. They contain a first and last name, and a 10 digit phone number. weird...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Have you tried a hard reset of the phone? With it powered on hold down the power button and the volume down for about 10 seconds until in reboots. If that does not work what about going into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Click ALL and go down to Contacts and Contact Storage and do a Force Close.

I would say try clearing the data on both but I am not sure exactly what that would reset so I wouldn't do that. Unless someone else on here has done it and knows what it will clear out.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Have you tried a hard reset of the phone? With it powered on hold down the power button and the volume down for about 10 seconds until in reboots. If that does not work what about going into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Click ALL and go down to Contacts and Contact Storage and do a Force Close.

I would say try clearing the data on both but I am not sure exactly what that would reset so I wouldn't do that. Unless someone else on here has done it and knows what it will clear out.

+1

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
C

cramblock

Reaction score
No cigar. I tried force close and a hard reset same crap. I did not however clear data since we do not know what it will do

Update : I deleted the contact and re added after the previous steps and it is working. Ty!

Update 1 he later : I made a contact with first name and 10 digit number. When i called it it said unknown as it was ringing...so weird

Last edited:
OP
C

cramblock

Reaction score
Update 2 hr later : i made a new contact with first name and 10 digit number and it says unknown when ringing. It seems like businesses it does it to. I made a new contact for Quizno's. Quizno's as the first name and the phone number. When ringing it says unknown. Or if I added it to favorites it would enter it as unknown in my favorites, which is dumb

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
LONG shot here, but go into your Settings>Call Settings>Assisted dialing

Do you have the checked and also for the reference country is it the US?

OP
C

cramblock

Reaction score
yea assisted dialing status is checked and reference country is USA. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah didn't think that would be the issue, but worth a shot. Ok try this

Power down the phone, power on the phone and as soon as you see the RED M Logo press and hold both the volume up and down buttons.

Do this until you see SAFE MODE in the corner, try your calls again and see if those numbers still come up "UNKNOWN". If they do not then you know it is an APP you have installed messing you up. If it still does this while in Safe Mode then you might have to do a factory reset (sad I know).

OP
C

cramblock

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I will try that tonight when I get off work :)