Contacts - a little frustration

pigpen

Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if there was a way to delete people from the favorites in the dialer/contacts app without deleting them from the actual contacts list. I know on my OG droid, with the stock app, if you deleted the contract out of the favs, it would be removed completely also, but with cyan and all the other rooted roms i was running, they utilized the wysie contact app and you could at least hide the favorites list. Another way to clean up this list was to go into settings > applications > manage applications > all applications, and emtpy the contacts storage app ... a resync would bring all my contacts right back to my phone and my favorites would be cleaned up, but with the D3 this seems to be a no go. Does anyone have a tip or an idea on how to do this now ?

gelfn

Reaction score
go to the contacts list. Search for the contact you want removed. You can then tap the star on the upper right hand corner of the individual contact screen. This will take the person off of your fast contact widget...do the same to add someone. I think this is what you were asking anyway. It's actually one of the few things I have been able to figure out. ;)

OP
pigpen

pigpen

Reaction score
nah i dont think so, i'm not talking about the widget, i'm talking about the contacts app. I dont want ANY favorites displayed. I like to keep the favorites tab emtpy, but i dont want to remove a contact everytime i delete it from the favorites list.

Markster1

Reaction score
That will remove them off the favorites list as well as off the widget, try it.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

neilrl79

Reaction score
nah i dont think so, i'm not talking about the widget, i'm talking about the contacts app. I dont want ANY favorites displayed. I like to keep the favorites tab emtpy, but i dont want to remove a contact everytime i delete it from the favorites list.

If you go to favorites and click on a contact there will be a green star in the corner, tap that star and it will turn white, that contact will no longer be in favorites.

OP
pigpen

pigpen

Reaction score
That's not what's going on. When you call someone or receive a call from someone in your contacts list, they automatically get added to favorites ... without the star being selected. When I go to highlight and unhighlight the star after selecting the contact to remove in the favorite tab, it does not matter the contact will not come off the favorite tab and the only way to remove them is to select delete, and that function removes them from the main contacts tab completely. So, in froyo I could completely wipe my contact_storage apk from the applications settings menu and then resync my contacts and have a completely clean favorites tab, and maintain my privacy. Is there way to do that on this phone, because I can't seem to figure out which app's data to clean out.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
That's not what's going on. When you call someone or receive a call from someone in your contacts list, they automatically get added to favorites ... without the star being selected. When I go to highlight and unhighlight the star after selecting the contact to remove in the favorite tab, it does not matter the contact will not come off the favorite tab and the only way to remove them is to select delete, and that function removes them from the main contacts tab completely. So, in froyo I could completely wipe my contact_storage apk from the applications settings menu and then resync my contacts and have a completely clean favorites tab, and maintain my privacy. Is there way to do that on this phone, because I can't seem to figure out which app's data to clean out.

The confusion here is that while it is under the Favorites tab, the list he's referring to is actually the "Frequently Called" list.

Sorry pigpen, but I don't have an answer for you here. Do other people use your phone that often that you are worried about them seeing people who could already be found in the contacts tab?

Maybe the best solution for you is to have a lock screen and not tell people how to unlock it?

OP
pigpen

pigpen

Reaction score
Privacy and security go hand in hand. It doesn't matter how many people get shown the phone, or use it. People are curious and nosey, I'd rather keep the system clean so I guess I'll have to wait for root like everyone else.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Privacy and security go hand in hand. It doesn't matter how many people get shown the phone, or use it. People are curious and nosey, I'd rather keep the system clean so I guess I'll have to wait for root like everyone else.
Fair enough. My phone is just always in my pocket and if someone has the time to look through my phone to find the frequently called list, they can also see my contacts list.

I hope root gets here quickly though because you should definitely have that option.

alvericko

Reaction score
do you call that frustration how about this am trying to add people from my contact list to my widget and when i select the contact name pic and everything goes to it but add another person number how can i get that fix i have try many thing anybody have a solution?