Contact and Text Message Force closes

shaggykid

Reaction score
I recently discovered my Text Messaging App force closes and when I try to click on an individual contact it closes back no home screen.

After some research I found deleting certain system apps, such as the ones with blur in front can cause this. Ive downloaded them again and set all the permissions correctly(i believe) but still have this issue. Am I missing something?

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Please anyone. Im desperate

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well if you were deleting apps then you must be rooted. There are some weird inter-dependencies with some apps that you would not immediately spot. I would think that is a real possibility. There may be other apps that you need to reinstall. For instance, I remember reading that some folk's contacts would not work unless the Yahoo! apps were all there.

Also, it could be a "permissions" issue. You might try one of the apps that have a "fix permissions" button. The only one I can think of right now is Rom Manager.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Ya the yahoo ones are what i read about. Ive downloades them again. Put then in systwm/app, just used rom manager to fix permissions but its still not working.

Could anybody with a droid x put all of their system apk files on here so i can.see which one im missing.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Yes ive rebooted multiple times.

If someone uses root explorer, selects all files in in system/app creates a zip, post it on here i could replace whichever one im.missing

clueless77

Reaction score
Google SBF Droid X and it will give you step by step

Its basically making your device as it was out of the box, even more so then a reset

Are you running a custom ROM or just stock with root access

BAD ASS X

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Stock with root access

clueless77

Reaction score
So yes me putting all of my system/app in here would be pointless as i am running a custom ROM with its own system data

There are lots of detailed instructions on doing a SBF just Google and read its really not difficult

BAD ASS X

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Well i found a site containing the stock system apk's. My text message app works now but contacts still force close when i try clicking on a name.
Could there be any other problems causing this since all the files have been replaced?

Id really rather not Flash to "out if box" if I can

clueless77

Reaction score
Well two things you can try, you can go into settings, applications, all, contacts and see if you can clear cache or go into stock recovery and clear cache

BAD ASS X

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Ive cleared the cache didnt work.

I guess ill do the SBF but i cant find an updated way to do it for my phone.

My system version is 4.5.605

Android version 2.3.3

clueless77

Reaction score
The 4.5.602 is a good file and just take the OTA 605 update then reroot

Since you are rooted i would suggest getting titanium backup from the market and back up all user apps so you can restore them and you could try a hard factory reset first it might work

SBF is easy just follow all instructions and make you have RSDlite and all required drivers and do a data reset cache clear in stock recovery before and after

BAD ASS X