Conspiracy theory. Voice Search.

idreamt...

Reaction score
I love my new droid, but with Task Killer installed, I noticed that voice search is always running. I'm not too worried about the battery drain, but I can't help but think about the surveillance abilities that could severely infringe on our 4th amendment rights. If g**gle, m*t*rola, or veriz*n had the ability to stream and record our phones mic input, I can't even about... well, you get the picture.

Am I crazy? I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to make sense.

What do you think?

J

Johnly

When you set up your phone, and allow google in any shape, form, or reason to collect information, and use your location (I do, but I am not bond) it will run in the background for your convenience....google knows everything, yup, nature of the information age.....You can deny google these permissions, and it will stop, but it must be done at the source, task killers are fluff.

eliassami5

Reaction score
it runs in the background so when you wanna use it then it will open up much quicker. Try killing it and then using voice search, it will take a second or two to start up, but if its running in the background like the camera and the gallery are then it opens up much quicker. And yes you are paranoid, get some help.

krazykarl

Reaction score
it runs in the background so when you wanna use it then it will open up much quicker. Try killing it and then using voice search, it will take a second or two to start up, but if its running in the background like the camera and the gallery are then it opens up much quicker. And yes you are paranoid, get some help.

Quoted for truth. If it were constantly listening and streaming it would kill your battery REALLY fast. Not to mention the illegality of it, unless there was a clause in the agreement when you activate the phone that gives consent to record everything you do, but if that was the case somebody would have noticed it by now and said something.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;RsHXMxoCXeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsHXMxoCXeU]YouTube - New Geico Commercial - Money With Eyes[/video]

OP
I

idreamt...

Reaction score
When you set up your phone, and allow google in any shape, form, or reason to collect information, and use your location (I do, but I am not bond) it will run in the background for your convenience....google knows everything, yup, nature of the information age.....You can deny google these permissions, and it will stop, but it must be done at the source, task killers are fluff.

I know I'm not alone by skipping over the license agreement and clicking agree every time. It just got me thinking about how this behavior across a society could allow a situation like this to happen. The reasons in this thread do make a lot more sense, so I shall not worry about any uninvited listeners anymore.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
so I shall not worry about any uninvited listeners anymore.

Well, at least until someone posts the link to idreamt-chat.com with real time streaming of your conversations.

I watch things like The Truman Show and think....nobody would want to film my life:)

The biggest reason for no concern would be the scenario where AT&T found out Verizon and Motorola were letting this occur. It would be all over the news. If it was occurring the amount of storage needed would involve multiple people. If moto can't keep a 2.2 android release under wraps then there is no way this type information would remain secret for long if they were tapped into your phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will somebody tell me who the real spokes person for Geico is? Is it the Gekko? Is it that money thing with the eyes? And what happened to the cute squirrels that got such a big kick out of making the car crash?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
And what happened to the cute squirrels that got such a big kick out of making the car crash?

Squirrel Local #562 sued them for defamation of character and now have a C&D order against them.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Will somebody tell me who the real spokes person for Geico is? Is it the Gekko? Is it that money thing with the eyes? And what happened to the cute squirrels that got such a big kick out of making the car crash?

Don't forget about the pothole and the cave men.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Don't forget about the pothole and the cave men.

Heck they gave the cave men their own show and it flopped.

Reaction score
I had to register just to add my 2 cents on this topic. And to start up on these forums of course :). Voice Search which is a google app, not google voice (maybe the same app) always comes up onmy running app list when noise is made or someone talks. Try it out, use a task killer and look at running apps after force close of voice search, then talk near your phone and the app will start running.... Maybe this is a feature, or maybe it is listening. This wouldnt be the first time Google had a hidden agenda. It would help there voice recognition software just to have random snippets of your voice in conversation recorded and sent to their database.

Google-411 (1800GOOG411) Googles free number look up service, was only free and created to aquire voice input for there voice recognition software that we are now using. Since everyone has different tones and ways of saying words, they needed a vast database; so everytime you use goog 411 you are recorded and stored in their voice database. Whew ok done

Last edited:

deputc26

Reaction score
Hmm perhaps the purchase of a tinfoil chapeau is in order.